Question/Request: Filter database by playing moves

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

oopsclassic

Question/Request: Filter database by playing moves

Post by oopsclassic »

Hello,

I'm still new to HCE Pro, and I haven't been able to figure out how to filter a database by playing moves on the board. Does anyone know if that's possible?

Thanks in advance,
Andy
mattchess

Re: Question/Request: Filter database by playing moves

Post by mattchess »

Choose View-->Tree Explorer and then in that window you can select the database you want to get results from. In that window there is an "explore games" button that looks like a folder. Click that and it opens a window that will show you the games from the database with that position. If you apply a filter on the database tab (like a specific player) you can also apply the filter on the tree explorer by clicking the database icon to toggle it to the database filter (and click it again to toggle back to unfiltered results).

I generally use the tree explorer when I am in my "workbase" database and make moves on the board there.
oopsclassic

Post by oopsclassic »

Thanks mattchess,

That's helpful, but when I have the "show games from that position" window open I can't make more moves to filter the list more. It's a bit awkward to have to keep opening and closing that window every time I make a move :)

I'll keep trying to find a way!

Thanks again,
Andy
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

oopsclassic wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:37 pm That's helpful, but when I have the "show games from that position" window open I can't make more moves to filter the list more. It's a bit awkward to have to keep opening and closing that window every time I make a move :)
Can you describe, what exactly do you want to achieve? Do you want the the player names? The moves?
oopsclassic

Post by oopsclassic »

Hi @mrudolf -- thanks for replying!

I'm trying to get to a place where I can make moves on a board and the list of games from my database is continuously filtered to match.

Currently, If I have a board view and the tree view open, I can show games from my current database by selecting it in the dropdown menu inside the tree view. If I make more moves on the board, the tree view continues to filter to show the top moves from the new position, but the list of games from the database doesn't pick up the new moves until I press the "set filter" button in the tree view again.

Thanks again!
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

oopsclassic wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm Hi @mrudolf -- thanks for replying!
I'm trying to get to a place where I can make moves on a board and the list of games from my database is continuously filtered to match.
Yes, I understood that much, but what do you need those games for? Do you look for player names? Results? Years? Do you want to browse the games?
oopsclassic

Post by oopsclassic »

Yes -- I like to browse the games and look for recent games by popular players to see what moves they play and to try to understand their plans.
dying_sphynx

Post by dying_sphynx »

Hi!

I have exactly the same question/request :) I can even see that in the previous version there existed a checkbox "Automatically set filter" in the Opening Exporer, which would do exactly what we are after:

https://www.hiarcs.com/hce-manual/pc/Da ... ource.html

However, it looks like it's gone in the newer version, so now users are forced to click "Set filter" button after making every move, which is somewhat laborious. Is it possible to reinstate that "Automatically set filter" functionality, at least as an option?

Thank you!
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

It is useful to see matching games but if it sets the filter every time, you won't be able to see your opponent's games in "Filter tree" mode.

Instead, we consider adding "Best games" explorer which would show top N matching games, so that you can see/click/browse the best games from current position. Would that be enough for you or do you need a complete list?