Drag to reorder entries in a database

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

dr4kan

Drag to reorder entries in a database

Post by dr4kan »

Sometimes one could desire to insert a new game at position N in the database and not at the end (imagine your DB made of different sections corresponding for example to different topics). Is there a way to achieve this without changing the order of the other games? I would like to suggest (for a future update) the possibility of dragging a game to a different location in the DB and then write this new order permanently as we do for removed games for example. Thanks.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Re: Drag to reorder entries in a database

Post by mrudolf »

dr4kan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:23 am Sometimes one could desire to insert a new game at position N in the database and not at the end (imagine your DB made of different sections corresponding for example to different topics). Is there a way to achieve this without changing the order of the other games? I would like to suggest (for a future update) the possibility of dragging a game to a different location in the DB and then write this new order permanently as we do for removed games for example. Thanks.
Yes, we have this on our TODO list. We weren't (and still aren't) sure what is the correct interface for that. Drag & drop is not convenient if you have a database with thousand of games, so maybe cut & paste is better?
dr4kan

Post by dr4kan »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:58 am
dr4kan wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:23 am Sometimes one could desire to insert a new game at position N in the database and not at the end (imagine your DB made of different sections corresponding for example to different topics). Is there a way to achieve this without changing the order of the other games? I would like to suggest (for a future update) the possibility of dragging a game to a different location in the DB and then write this new order permanently as we do for removed games for example. Thanks.
Yes, we have this on our TODO list. We weren't (and still aren't) sure what is the correct interface for that. Drag & drop is not convenient if you have a database with thousand of games, so maybe cut & paste is better?
For small databases one should be able to drag the games, as it is the most convenient method and we are all used to it. I also propose the following, which should work for large databases: one select one or more games -> Right click -> "Change position" from the contextual menu -> in a popup writes the new position for the first selected element (the others will follow the first).

For example I select game #67, game #104 and game #44, I choose as new position #22 and the three selected games are inserted at positions #22, #23 and #24, in the order they were selected: #67 --> #22, #104 --> #23, #44 --> #24

What do you think about it? It is very very important to be able to change the order of games so that one can keep the material on the same topic together when adding new stuff...
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

dr4kan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am For small databases one should be able to drag the games, as it is the most convenient method and we are all used to it. I also propose the following, which should work for large databases: one select one or more games -> Right click -> "Change position" from the contextual menu -> in a popup writes the new position for the first selected element (the others will follow the first).

For example I select game #67, game #104 and game #44, I choose as new position #22 and the three selected games are inserted at positions #22, #23 and #24, in the order they were selected: #67 --> #22, #104 --> #23, #44 --> #24

What do you think about it? It is very very important to be able to change the order of games so that one can keep the material on the same topic together when adding new stuff...
I was rather thinking of this:

1. Select games (or just take current if nothing is selected)
2. Cut (maybe using Ctrl/Cmd+X)? This cam mark the games deleted or grayed.
3. Paste. The games will be all undeleted and put at the current position.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

mrudolf wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 pm I was rather thinking of this:

1. Select games (or just take current if nothing is selected)
2. Cut (maybe using Ctrl/Cmd+X)? This cam mark the games deleted or grayed.
3. Paste. The games will be all undeleted and put at the current position.
I think this is a convenient and safer method, it also indicates the games to be moved before the actual operation takes place.

Drag and drop is intuitive but sometimes mouse buttons or fingers don't work as well resulting in the target being misplaced. With potentially 1000's of games being selected this would be very annoying if it went wrong, unless an easy undo were implemented.
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
till

Post by till »

I reorder games in small bases. So drag& drop is the way to use.

Reordering games is a must have feature.
dr4kan

Post by dr4kan »

till wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:33 am I reorder games in small bases. So drag& drop is the way to use.

Reordering games is a must have feature.
Indeed. I don't see why one should reorder manually dbs with thousands or millions of games, that why I don't understand the concern about d&d when used with large dbs....simply don't use it. Chessbase has d&d and I think this has bothered nobody. I find the proposed way of cut and paste quite artificial but still better than nothing.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Maybe both options? The best of both worlds then.
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
KLc

Post by KLc »

I would also really like to be able to reorder games in a database (one application: opening repertoire, where later you realize you want one variation logically before another, etc.). The only way to do this currently is with a text editor, ugh.
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

KLc wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:40 pm I would also really like to be able to reorder games in a database (one application: opening repertoire, where later you realize you want one variation logically before another, etc.). The only way to do this currently is with a text editor, ugh.
Alas, you will have to wait a bit longer for that. This is potentially destructive operation so we need to test it well.

BTW. How should it work if the filter is enabled?.
For example, there are 9 games, but only 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 are visible.
I move 5 and 9 after 1, achieving 1, 5, 9, 3, 7.
Now I reset the filter. What is the final sequence?
KLc

Post by KLc »

mrudolf wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:48 pm BTW. How should it work if the filter is enabled?.
Valid point. I would probably disallow drag&drop reordering when a filter is active. I just looked at SCID and I think it doesn't support reordering games. Hmm, I thought it's a common feature somehow.
dr4kan

Post by dr4kan »

mrudolf wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:48 pm
KLc wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:40 pm I would also really like to be able to reorder games in a database (one application: opening repertoire, where later you realize you want one variation logically before another, etc.). The only way to do this currently is with a text editor, ugh.
Alas, you will have to wait a bit longer for that. This is potentially destructive operation so we need to test it well.

BTW. How should it work if the filter is enabled?.
It should be 1, 5, 9, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8. I am moving the games after 1, regardless of what has been hidden by the filter.
bcalmac

Post by bcalmac »

Is there still a plan to allow reordering the games in a database?
mrudolf
HCE Developer

Post by mrudolf »

bcalmac wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:17 am Is there still a plan to allow reordering the games in a database?
Reordering is possible since 1.2. Check games to move and right-click a game to move them after that game.