Mephisto Vancouver 16/32 bit display module issue ?!?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fdimeglio

Mephisto Vancouver 16/32 bit display module issue ?!?

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello All,

So I tried recently my Vancouver 16 bit which is used into a good old Munchen board.

I have noticed that the contrast of the display module was very very poor and I could barely see the text on the screen. I had to lower my angle of vision to be able to see the text.

A few questions:

#1 is it a known problem ? If so, how to fix it ?

#2 isn't there a way to change the contrast thru a key combination ?

I have not checked the real Vancouver manual (I do have it but it is in some storage box in my house and I don't remember which one) but I found this online one http://www.progettosnaps.net/manuals/pdf/van16.pdf) and I don't see any way to change the contrast.

This is quite strange because I remember I was able to do so when I got my original Vancouver back in the days.

#3 can this issue come from the board and/or the power supply ?

Any feedback, help would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Fabrice,

here's a workaround for the display:

http://www.miclangschach.de/index.php?n ... stoBavaria

Sorry, it's in German language - scroll to the end.

Tinkering Regards, Michael
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello Michael,

Thank you a lot. I was aware that there was such a modification possible. I think Ruud was talking about it a while ago.

Any idea about replacing the faulty display with exactly the same part ? What would be the reference of that part ?

Cheers,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Fabrice,
fdimeglio wrote:Thank you a lot. I was aware that there was such a modification possible. I think Ruud was talking about it a while ago.

Any idea about replacing the faulty display with exactly the same part ? What would be the reference of that part ?
Yes, Ruud offers displays and does the assembly, as far as I know, but with some soldering knowledge you can do it on your own.

I didn't replace the display with the same part, that makes no sense, because OLED Displays are much better, brighter (with low current consumption) and have a higher resolution compared to the old LCD displays.

Take this one: EA W162-XLG - it's expensive but excellent!

Regards, Michael
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello Michael,

Thank you again. As I am like Steve B in the collector side, I am trying to not change my machines. I don't want to use a part that would change it's original condition.

That is why I am asking for the reference of the original part.

Original Regards,

Fabrice

PS: I opened my screen module yesterday and will publish a photo here and the associated part if I can finally find it.
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Fabrice,

basically it's a 16x2 LCD Display, there are a lot out there - the height is important - you've to check it with the old one

Regards, Michael
hougenie

Re: Mephisto Vancouver 16/32 bit display module issue ?!?

Post by hougenie »

Hello together. I have also a Vancouver 16/32 Bit Display Modul which I replaced with the ea w162-xlg. But unfortunately it does not work. The display displays random characters and beeps. Has someone an idea? I only removed the old one and solded the pins 1 - 14. Pin 15 and 16 are not solded.
No idea what is wrong, but I checked all contacts and they seem to work.

Are there additional steps needed? As unfortunately the link in the first post with the replace instauction does not work anymore. Thanks!
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hello Hougenie,
the link in the first post works fine (at least for me) but only provides the chess computer general instructions - not any display replacement instructions.
The link in the second post fails, here is the new link to use.
Best, Tibono.
hougenie

Post by hougenie »

Ah thank you. Thought the link which was broken would have a step by step instruction. But it is only a short description. Interesting, I have used the ea w162-xlg but it does not work. The contacts are all okay, but the display shows random characters. Anyone an idea? Is there something to do so that it works correctly or is soldering of pin 1 till 14 enough?
hougenie

Post by hougenie »

I have a Vancouver 68000 and a 16/32 Bit Display Modul
hougenie

Post by hougenie »

Has anyone an idea?

Perhaps another Led Modul can be used? Although the pins should be universal. Are there any instructions for the 16/32 Bit Display module? Thanks