World Chess Software Championship 2018

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

GK2000 wrote:When will the games start, day and time?

Thanks in advance.
tomorrow morning at 9 CET

Schedule is here http://icga.org/?p=2343
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

What hardware will the software be running on?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Rob Appleby wrote:What hardware will the software be running on?
It is an i7 quad at 1.8
IanO

Post by IanO »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
It is an i7 quad at 1.8
Are you sure? Last year it was quad i7, 3.4 GHz, 16MB Hash. I'd be surprised if they backslid in performance. And isn't the i9 out now?

Best of luck!

P.S. Also curious if there will be a live PGN for Explorer to listen to.
IanO

Post by IanO »

IanO wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
It is an i7 quad at 1.8
Are you sure? Last year it was quad i7, 3.4 GHz, 16MB Hash. I'd be surprised if they backslid in performance.
I guess so. This is the exact quote from the webpage:
The used hardware is a Dell laptop with i7-8550U, 1.80 GHz processor. 16 GByte internal memory installed. The system is running MS Windows 10, on an x64 processor.
So it might even be SP!

In the WCSC, both The Baron and Pauline appear to be outmatched by the rest of the field, and after round four the only other decisive result is Booot + Hiarcs.
herO

Post by herO »

So far there are many draws. Even Komodo drew many games... It seems that Harley was right about it.
LoveChessAH

Re: World Chess Software Championship 2018

Post by LoveChessAH »

Harvey Williamson wrote:The event will take place this weekend in Stockholm. At the moment there are 9 entries including Hiarcs. I am not sure what I will do if England get to the World Cup final as the last round is scheduled at the same time. Hopefully I will be able to publish a link so that you can watch the games live in HCE. The WCSC is the uniform hardware event. Entries so far:

1. Chiron
2. Shredder
3. Komodo
4. Pauline
5. Booot
6. The Baron
7. Ginkgo
8. Jonny
9. Hiarcs

I hope this is not the final ranking of HIARCS after this tour. After first day HIARCS need another win again opponents - i hope so ! :-)
herO

Post by herO »

HIARCS is not in finals . What a shame. :( Hiarcs won only against the weakest engine Pauline. I do not know what to think about new Hiarcs. I really like its playing attacking playing style. Hiarcs was able to draw against Komodo, so it is good sign that new Hiarcs is really stronger than Hiarcs 14.

Final result for Hiarcs is: 1 win, 5 draws, 2 loses.

Harvey and Mark - what are your opinions about turnament? Are you satisfied with results and Hiarcs performance at the tournament?
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

They can't be pleased with that.

I didn't think it was particularly attacking. It did, however, do a very good job of squeezing Shredder but sadly there was no win.

No idea about the loss to the Baron. Maybe they wacked contempt right up to try and win at all costs and it backfired.
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

My impression is that it just takes HIARCS a lot longer to analyse to a given depth than other engines. Give it time and it's very useful, but it's not fast.
herO

Post by herO »

Carl Bicknell wrote:They can't be pleased with that.

I didn't think it was particularly attacking. It did, however, do a very good job of squeezing Shredder but sadly there was no win.

No idea about the loss to the Baron. Maybe they wacked contempt right up to try and win at all costs and it backfired.
It really surprised me, because I tried engine match between latest version of The Baron engine and Hiarcs 14 WCSC. Hiarcs won every single game (10 games, 10 wins). It is quite unlikely that The Baron is now so much stronger than before. I still do not know how much stronger are new versions of Hiarcs than Hiarcs 14 WCSC, because of its unbalanced performance. I suppose Hiarcs did quite well against Shredder and Komodo, but games against Booot and The Baron were disappointing.
herO

Post by herO »

Rob Appleby wrote:My impression is that it just takes HIARCS a lot longer to analyse to a given depth than other engines. Give it time and it's very useful, but it's not fast.
Hiarcs is not so fast, because of its evaluation function. In my opinion Hiarcs is able to play "human-like" chess because of its good evaluation function. Maybe I am wrong. Mark or Harvey should tell us more about it.
herO

Post by herO »

There is a passionate debate on the web about whether this ICGA comical party has a moral right to grant the title of World Champion, when two of the top three engines ignore their action.

Well, it would be enough for me if these comrades behave at least as a regular organizer of a local tournament. When they finally published the schedule on the start day, one could hardly expect them to break it the next day. Yes, 14.7. did not play 6 rounds, but only 5.

Publishing the Standing is obviously beyond their power and understanding, so I had to calculate it myself. The same about PGN.
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

herO wrote:
Rob Appleby wrote:My impression is that it just takes HIARCS a lot longer to analyse to a given depth than other engines. Give it time and it's very useful, but it's not fast.
Hiarcs is not so fast, because of its evaluation function. In my opinion Hiarcs is able to play "human-like" chess because of its good evaluation function. Maybe I am wrong. Mark or Harvey should tell us more about it.
HIARCS is fun to play against and very useful as an alternative analysis for iccf games imo. Beyond that I really can't comment, except to say that in a series of engine matches I ran recently against stockfish, it didn't win a single game.
herO

Post by herO »

Rob Appleby wrote:
herO wrote:
HIARCS is fun to play against and very useful as an alternative analysis for iccf games imo. Beyond that I really can't comment, except to say that in a series of engine matches I ran recently against stockfish, it didn't win a single game.
You're right. Hiarcs is not able to win against Stockfish engine. Hiarcs is only able to draw against Stockfish. Hiarcs cannot win against Stockfish even if Hiarcs uses tournament book and Stockfish does not have any opening book.