MCGE gets Blu-tooth

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Eric Wainwright

Post by Eric Wainwright »

I haven’t seen any chatter about using the Chesslink to hook up the board to Hiarcs Chess Explorer. For me, this would be the ideal situation and open up a world of possibilities. I hope Mark and crew will release an update to HCE in the near future to support it.

-Eric
Clark Barr

I just received the Millennium King Exclusive Lasker edition

Post by Clark Barr »

Been years since I had a beautiful wooden auto sensory chess computer. I had a Fidelity Elite back in the 80s which was fun to analyze with until the power unit died and couldn't be replaced. Also had a Mephisto Modular RISC which also suffered from the same fate when it finally broke down.

The unit comes in a beautiful box with Lasker's portrait on the top. Also included is a copy of KARL magazine's Lasker tribute issue.

I've been playing test games with The King module and it is definitely weaker than Shredder or Hiarcs/Deep Junior on my laptop and it also is easily bowled over by SmallFish and HIARCS on my iPhone/iPad. I can see why the Chess Link is valid and glad that it will link up to the iPhone/iPad versions of HIARCS.
Yarc

Re: I just received the Millennium King Exclusive Lasker edi

Post by Yarc »

Clark Barr wrote:.
I've been playing test games with The King module and it is definitely weaker than Shredder or Hiarcs/Deep Junior on my laptop and it also is easily bowled over by SmallFish and HIARCS on my iPhone/iPad. I can see why the Chess Link is valid and glad that it will link up to the iPhone/iPad versions of HIARCS.

Hi Clark,

I'm not surprised that the likes of Shredder, Hiacs etc on you laptop crush TheKing. Just look at the processing power difference. Your laptop probably has gigabytes of ram, multiple cpu cores running at Ghz speeds and masses of hard drive space for huge opening books. Compare this to the 300Mhz single core processor in TheKing module with its 2048Kb RAM and 384kb Hash memory then it's not surprising. What I do find impressive is the level of play it does achieve and you only have to look on this forum for ELO ratings it has achieved.

I think if you enjoy watching super strong PC/tablet engines playing against each other that is great but it's unfair to compare these to TheKing module. On the other hand, if you enjoy playing the game and or watching dedicated comnputer matches, TheKing module is outstanding with it's Grandmaster level play.

It all depends what you usage is, and I guess the Blue-tooth module gives you the best of both worlds.

Just my point of view Regards
Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

I was able to find a Samsung Tab A (SM-T380, 2017 model) close to 50% off running Android 8.1 Oreo.

I can confirm using the:
1. MCGE Lasker
2. Millennium ChessLink
3. The tablet above
4. Chess for Android
5. Playing on FICS

The board LEDs work brilliantly! Finally, I'm able to enjoy human to human online chess, with my opponent's moves highlighted on the board! I can finally focus all of my attention on the board itself, instead of needing to reference a clock, tablet, or laptop.

Well done Aart!!!

Next weekend I may try ICC.

Also - I've been enjoying several games against HIARCS connected to my iPAD running HIARCS iOS. Easy connection to the ChessLink. And of course the LEDs work in that scenario also (Well done Mark!).

ChessLinking Regards,
Greg
aartbik

Post by aartbik »

fourthirty wrote:The board LEDs work brilliantly! Finally, I'm able to enjoy human to human online chess, with my opponent's moves highlighted on the board! I can finally focus all of my attention on the board itself, instead of needing to reference a clock, tablet, or laptop.

Well done Aart!!!
Thanks for the follow-up! I am really glad to read you like the combination of the eboard and Chess for Android! Please let me know if you have feature requests. The project moves slowly, since it is done in just spare time, but I usually get around the important ones :-)