MCGE gets Blu-tooth

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ecsrun

Post by ecsrun »

For the LEDS on the DGT Rev II to function with Fritz or other bluetooth connections, you need DGT drivers 2_0_24. The functionality was not included in earlier or later releases. DGT confirmed this directly in a support email exchange and I have tested it.

Also - let me add that 2_0_24 is no longer available on the DGT website, which is likely where some of the confusion comes from. When I emailed their support team, they provided me a link.
Scally

Post by Scally »

ecsrun wrote:For the LEDS on the DGT Rev II to function with Fritz or other bluetooth connections, you need DGT drivers 2_0_24. The functionality was not included in earlier or later releases. DGT confirmed this directly in a support email exchange and I have tested it.

Also - let me add that 2_0_24 is no longer available on the DGT website, which is likely where some of the confusion comes from. When I emailed their support team, they provided me a link.
Maybe these drivers were included in Ruud’s later software upgrades, I’m on v3.25F now?

Al.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Scally wrote:
ecsrun wrote:For the LEDS on the DGT Rev II to function with Fritz or other bluetooth connections, you need DGT drivers 2_0_24. The functionality was not included in earlier or later releases. DGT confirmed this directly in a support email exchange and I have tested it.

Maybe these drivers were included in Ruud’s later software upgrades, I’m on v3.25F now?

Al.
Michael, Al, and ecsrun,

Thank you for the information. I can confirm that that the LEDs do not work with Fritz 16 running 3.21.

I'll attempt to upgrade to 3.25F to see if that solves the issue.

That is good information about 2_0_24 drivers. Unfortunately I cannot find out anything regarding this on the DGT or Phoenix site. In fact, the latest Rev II manual on the DGT site contains the following about LEDs in BT e-board mode:

I'm starting to get frustrated regarding the lack of documentation on these updates.

Greg
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

I upgraded to 3.25F. I'll post my findings in my new thread "Rev II Firmware 3.25F". I don't want to hijack this thread with Rev II comments as it relates to the MCGE.
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

Looks like this is it:

https://www.chesshouse.com/collections/ ... -chesslink

To me at least, very exciting. It would be nice if they sold the board and pieces with this as a bundle.

BTW - I really don't understand the dedicateds/computer dispute on this forum. It seems to be a Swiftian big-endian/little-endian controversy really.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Rob Appleby wrote:Looks like this is it:

To me at least, very exciting. It would be nice if they sold the board and pieces with this as a bundle.

BTW - I really don't understand the dedicateds/computer dispute on this forum. It seems to be a Swiftian big-endian/little-endian controversy really.
Release date is now August
link looks like a pre-order
was hoping this was the Tasc Module but its only the link module to access PC Engines

there is no dispute...only a difference in what interest some folks here and what doesn't
I have no interest in this but great interest in the Tasc module
some have no interest in the Tasc module but will buy this
some both

Its All Good Regards
Steve
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Steve B wrote:

was hoping this was the Tasc Module but its only the link module to access PC Engines

there is no dispute...only a difference in what interest some folks here and what doesn't
some both

Its All Good Regards
Steve

I see a release date of 22 Aug for the Millennium ChessLink (Blue-tooth module) on

It seems good, but like you Steve, I am more interested in the Tasc module, but no mention of this yet.

Where is the King Regards
Ray
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

Steve B wrote:

some both

Its All Good Regards
Steve
Well to me there's no difference between a pc running a chess program and outputting its moves on a board, and a microprocessor running a chess program inside the board. It's a computer calculating moves in both cases. I can see how the latter might be more aesthetically appealing, but beyond that I don't get it. They're both just computers.

To me it's like modern phones. They're really computers running phone apps. The phone app isn't even the most important part of them anymore. But I can't imagine anyone preferring a non-smart phone (unless they need a satphone or something similar for a military application, say) just because the smartphone is no longer a dedicated phone.

The MCGE does look appealing to me, both as a dedicated chess computer and as an interface for hiarcs and others on my ipad or mbp.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Rob Appleby wrote:

To me it's like modern phones.
good point and in fact ..true to form..I do not own a smart phone
everybody plugged into their phones ...heads down..thumbs twitching.. mouth agape (some with a small amount of spittle drooling from their mouths) ..even when crossing the street or in elevators or walking up and down stairs
this is addiction..pure and simple
reminds me of the" Matrix" except they are not strapped to reclining chairs with a plug stuck into the back of their heads.(.probably coming soon though)
I use an old flip top cell phone and somehow still manage to live a fairly productive life
Luddite Regards
Steve
lexman

Post by lexman »

Yep I ve still got an old traditional cell phone. I had a smart phone but found it irritating for various reasons. Some aspects of living in the future are a lot less hopeful than I d imagined them to be in the past.
Anyone know if the King module is still happening things have gone awfully quiet on that front?
mclane

Post by mclane »

Short Before release I guess
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

Ideally, the board would be sold as a package with the customer's choice of module (King, Lang and connectivity). I'm sure if they have a sensible business approach that that will be the case. Otherwise someone like me will just have to buy the Lang module and then hardly use it.

Anyway I'm saving up for one.

topschach.de seems to have the best price at this time.
Rob Appleby

Post by Rob Appleby »

BTW - on a slightly different but related note, for those who might be interested in using a bluetooth connection to engines on a tablet or computer, it turns out that the Acid Ape app for Android will work with the DGT bluetooth boards for play online and against engines; not only that, it comes with seven engines already in the package, and - for me a big and - it will play chess960. If only the boards had signalling leds... instead, it can announce its moves verbally. Another nice touch is that no cables are needed.

I reckon this could be close to an ideal combination for some people. I might well be one myself.

Now all I have to do is get the board and pieces, revive my old LG G3, delete all other apps and content, put it in a wooden case so it doesn't look like a cellphone - et voila'! l'ordinateur dedie' des echecs est servie!
lrvalley

Millenium Chess Needs bluetooth in the BOARD.

Post by lrvalley »

I just ordered my MCGE and am anxiously awaiting delivery. I like the add-ons that are coming, but I can't help but wonder where the developers heads are at.

Why do I need a separate module for bluetooth? Bluetooth is literally a $5 addition to any PC. The MCGE board should have bluetooth built-in, and the primary computer/display should connect via bluetooth, not a physical wire.

The less wires, the better. Bluetooth is perfectly capable of multiple connections - so theoretically I could purchase any number of modules, supply power to them (via adaptor, battery or rechargeable battery) and connect them at the same time.

Using bluetooth, I could connect Lang and King at the same time, and have them play each other.

I am a long time IT developer, so perhaps I think a little different than chess board developers.

Anyway, it's all good!

Cheers!
Yarc

Re: Millenium Chess Needs bluetooth in the BOARD.

Post by Yarc »

lrvalley wrote:I just ordered my MCGE and am anxiously awaiting delivery. I like the add-ons that are coming, but I can't help but wonder where the developers heads are at.

Why do I need a separate module for bluetooth? Bluetooth is literally a $5 addition to any PC. The MCGE board should have bluetooth built-in, and the primary computer/display should connect via bluetooth, not a physical wire.

The less wires, the better. Bluetooth is perfectly capable of multiple connections - so theoretically I could purchase any number of modules, supply power to them (via adaptor, battery or rechargeable battery) and connect them at the same time.

Using bluetooth, I could connect Lang and King at the same time, and have them play each other.

I am a long time IT developer, so perhaps I think a little different than chess board developers.

Anyway, it's all good!

Cheers!
Where the Bluetooth module differs from a cheap Bluetooth adaptor for a PC is that Millennium have created an open system for software developers. This means that if you have an application in mind for a mobile, PC or Apple, they will provide the interface code free of charge that enables individuals to communicate with the Bluetooth module and ultimately with the board and pieces. In this way how the module is used is only limited by peoples imaginations.

I like your idea of using multiple modules with the one board all communicating with Bluetooth, alas that does not seem possible at the moment.

Regards
Ray