LOOK AT THIS!!!!!!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

fhub, thank you so much for the work you've done on these emulations. I'm having fun now pitting various emulations of the strong Mephisto units against some of my dedicated units. I do have a question that I couldn't find the answer to in the help section of MESS. Whenever I make a mouse slip using Winboard, of course the wrong move gets transmitted to the emulation board. When I try to takeback the moves using the Winboard interface (through "Engine", "Retract Move"), the emulator board gets all confused (as do I), and I can't figure out how to correct things. What is the proper way to take back moves so you can properly continue a game?
fhub

Post by fhub »

Hi,
TracySMiller wrote:I do have a question that I couldn't find the answer to in the help section of MESS. Whenever I make a mouse slip using Winboard, of course the wrong move gets transmitted to the emulation board. When I try to takeback the moves using the Winboard interface (through "Engine", "Retract Move"), the emulator board gets all confused (as do I), and I can't figure out how to correct things. What is the proper way to take back moves so you can properly continue a game?
taking back moves is not supported in the chess plugins that are used for the WB/UCI protocol - it would be a tremendous work to implement this for about 200 engines, because almost every chess computer has its own method to take back a move.
So if you're playing those engines via Winboard or Arena, you should definitely take care to not make any wrong move!

OTOH, if you play an engine directly in CB-Emu or MessExtra, then of course taking back a move is possible, but you'll have to know how this must be done depending on the engine you're running - you'll certainly have to look into the manual (and maybe also read the file 'Info_xxx.txt' for special instructions needed in CB-Emu).
budana

Re: MESS

Post by budana »

fhub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:14 am
Fernando wrote: I would be happy if I could say the same. I have never been capable of finishing a game with those sims due to freezing or anything bad happening, so I trowed it to the bin after too many tries
Well Fernando,

now there's a package MESS-Chess_UCI+WB available on my website, which should also be suitable for you: ;)
https://fhub.jimdo.com/

One of the MAME developers (Sandro Ronco) wrote a chess plugin, which allows to use those emulations of old chess computers as UCI or WB engines in any UCI/WB chess GUI.
I've modified the main program 'mess.exe' a bit, added a few more plugins and put everthing that is necessary into a complete package.
I've even included a minimal Arena and WinBoard system, so you can use this package 'out of the box' without any further installation (only for Arena you have to run the included 'INSTALL.bat' to import the engine list into the registry).

I hope that this version will also be usable for YOU ... ;)

Regards,
Franz
This is hands down the best chess emulator package in the www. Appreciate much the compilations, Franz Huber!