Chess on TV and in Films

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:Greetings Greg:

While I’m far from being fluent in French, I watched the free version of this film sans subtitles, and thoroughly enjoyed it just the same.

http://watch32.is/movie/oxQRO4Gn-queen-to-play.html

Despite the language barrier, I noticed that the happy couple playing chess early in the film were using a Philippine tournament set. Back in the late ‘70s, sometime after the first Karpov vs. Korchnoi championship match, I bought this very set from one of the NYC chess shops for its cool design and the 2 types of exotic hardwoods used in its construction, but because it was unweighted, it just sat in my drawer literally for decades. A few years ago I auctioned it off on eBay along with a plethora of excess chess paraphernalia, and since it was still in like-new condition, sold it for about triple what I paid for it.
fourthirty wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:Sebastian Cabot hosted a show called “Circle of Fear”.
Wow John - just watched the episode. Super creepy!
Yes, the whole “Ghost Story”/”Circle of Fear” series did indeed have a creepy vibe, and this vintage chess episode was no exception.
You can imagine what it was like watching this when I was off from school due to illness, at a time that I had only just learned the official rules.

Speaking of creepy chess themed media, this 1992 version of “Knight Moves” with Christopher Lambert is sure to give you nightmares:

http://watch32.is/movie/wvnm4EdQ-knight-moves.html

8) Chiller Chess Theatre Regards,
John
I just saw the movie. I liked very much. Thnaks for the hint.
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:The classic Hollywood chess scene is this: the protagonist enter to a place where chess is being played by masters, he takes a look at a board and instantly discover and play a mate in one move that the GM did not see.
..and all the while playing on a board with a black square in the lower right hand corner

Persistent Regards
Steve
hahahahaha yeah

Obsessive regards
F
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:Greetings Greg:

While I’m far from being fluent in French, I watched the free version of this film sans subtitles, and thoroughly enjoyed it just the same.

http://watch32.is/movie/oxQRO4Gn-queen-to-play.html

Despite the language barrier, I noticed that the happy couple playing chess early in the film were using a Philippine tournament set. Back in the late ‘70s, sometime after the first Karpov vs. Korchnoi championship match, I bought this very set from one of the NYC chess shops for its cool design and the 2 types of exotic hardwoods used in its construction, but because it was unweighted, it just sat in my drawer literally for decades. A few years ago I auctioned it off on eBay along with a plethora of excess chess paraphernalia, and since it was still in like-new condition, sold it for about triple what I paid for it.
fourthirty wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:Sebastian Cabot hosted a show called “Circle of Fear”.
Wow John - just watched the episode. Super creepy!
Yes, the whole “Ghost Story”/”Circle of Fear” series did indeed have a creepy vibe, and this vintage chess episode was no exception.
You can imagine what it was like watching this when I was off from school due to illness, at a time that I had only just learned the official rules.

Speaking of creepy chess themed media, this 1992 version of “Knight Moves” with Christopher Lambert is sure to give you nightmares:

http://watch32.is/movie/wvnm4EdQ-knight-moves.html

8) Chiller Chess Theatre Regards,
John
I just saw the movie. I liked very much. Thnaks for the hint.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed this underrated gem as much as I did, Fern! While I don’t consider this film to be rightfully vintage (released in 1992), the B/W opening scene set in 1972 with the Gardè Ruhla analog chess clock gave it a nice nostalgic appeal in my opinion.

The theatrical trailer can be found here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104627/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Cognac Festival Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Fernando wrote:I just saw the movie. I liked very much. Thnaks for the hint.
F - Did you watch "Queen to Play" or "Knight Moves"?
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fourthirty wrote:
Queen to Play"

...where the lady, as in any French movie, does not take a shower after coming out the bed....
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:
fourthirty wrote:
Queen to Play"

...where the lady, as in any French movie, does not take a shower after coming out the bed....
Shalimar?

Aside from a bit of domestic violence, a very enjoyable film. Those passionate French.

Knight Odds Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Fernando wrote: Queen to Play"
Glad you enjoyed it Fern. I just found this nice review by Roger Ebert (RIP):
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/queen-to-play-2011

Unfortunately the film doesn't appear to be free with Amazon Prime anymore. Hopefully they will bring it back. I believe John found it on another site without english subtitles. However, my french isn't that good!

Petit français regards,
Greg