Question on Novag Star Opal Computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Tumbledown

Question on Novag Star Opal Computer

Post by Tumbledown »

Hello Everyone,

I am a newcomer to the forum and would be grateful to anyone who can give me a word of advice on one aspect of use of the Novag Star Opal computer. I have been presented with one of these machines and despite the maker’s claim it does not appear to recognise the castling move. The instructions say that one should press the first two squares of the king’s move, whereupon the rook’s move will be indicated by appropriate lights.

When I carry out these instructions, whether regarding the king’s and bishop’s squares or the bishop’s and knight’s squares as the two in question, no lights appear. There is no indication that anything is amiss until later in the game, when I try to move either the rook or the king, whereupon an error message is displayed. This has ruined every game I have tried to play. Could anyone please let me know whether I am doing something wrong, or whether the program is inherently faulty. At the moment I am disposed to throw the machine away, but perhaps the position is not beyond rescue.

With hopes of a helpful response and my thanks in adance,
Tumbledown
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Question on Novag Star Opal Computer

Post by Steve B »

Tumbledown wrote:Hello Everyone,

When I carry out these instructions, whether regarding the king’s and bishop’s squares or the bishop’s and knight’s squares as the two in question, no lights appear.
The Star Opal can of course recognize and perform 0-0 and 0-0-0

you should not be pressing any Bishop squares
when you press the Bishop square the computer thinks you are moving your K to B1 instead of trying to 0-0

When you want to 0-0 ..just make the K move
press..E1(the led will light) then press G1(the led will light)
the computer will then immediately light up the R move as follows..
H1(you must press the square)
F1(you must press the square)

the computer will indicate 0-0 the same way
it will light up E8 then G8(you must press both squares as they light up)
then it will indicate the R move
H8..F8(again you must press each square as it lights up)

0-0 0-0-0-Regards
Steve
SirDave

Re: Question on Novag Star Opal Computer

Post by SirDave »

Tumbledown wrote:...When I carry out these instructions, whether regarding the king’s and bishop’s squares or the bishop’s and knight’s squares as the two in question, no lights appear...

Tumbledown
I can second the fact that the Star Opal castling works as Steve describes above, so the question is why is it not working for you. Some of the following may sound very elementary, but I don't know what your chess computer experience is.

First, if you haven't done so already, make sure that that the squares are correctly registering moves: Press New Game then sequentially push on E1, F1, G1 and H1 which should register with a sound and lighted LED. If they are working okay, then there is no reason to believe that castling shouldn't work.

Next, make sure that you are castling correctly (I know that I'm repeating Steve's clear instructions above): For 0-0, King E1 to (Knight-square) G1 followed by Rook H1 to (Bishop square) F1. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mention this because it might be met with a 'Well, duh' response :), but I'm a little concerned with your statement: whether regarding the king’s and bishop’s squares or the bishop’s and knight’s squares as the two in question, no lights appear... wherein you mention the 'king's and bishop's squares' first.

Finally, (again, this may sound elementary, but I don't know your chess experience level) make sure you're following the rules of castling wherein you can't castle if the King and Rook (involved in the castle) have already been moved and also if any square involved in the King's move is under attack.

Other than the above, I can't think of anything else that could account for castling not working on the Star Opal, a chess computer I have used often.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Probably worth mentioning is that the king must be moved first, rook
second. I used to play chess over the board and some people seemed to
see a need to move the rook first.
Larry
Tumbledown

Post by Tumbledown »

Dear Steve and Larry

Many thanks for your speedy responses to my query concerning a problem with the Novag Star Opal recognising the castling move. Steve, your guidance has put me right. Earlier, I must have tried every
combination but the correct one. No doubt very foolish of me. I am much indebted to you. Larry, I am also grateful for your tip about checking all the squares for appropriate reactions. In case of any further difficulty (perhaps unlikely)I shall remember that.

Thank you both once again and best wishes
Tumbledown