Modular board issue - need help

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Chest-Nut

Modular board issue - need help

Post by Chest-Nut »

I got a MMV and a modular board on hand separately. I think I have a problem with the modular board. I am hoping someone can help me by confirming whether modular board is compatible to any Mephisto module so I can try to determine where the problem may be... .
My problem is that after I made the 1st move, the board behave abnormal with random flashing light. Also, how do I verify the reed switch is defected. If it is defected, do I still hear the clicking sound when I put a magnet near it?

Thanks in advance.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Modular board issue - need help

Post by Steve B »

Chest-Nut wrote:I got a MMV and a modular board on hand separately. I think I have a problem with the modular board. I am hoping someone can help me by confirming whether modular board is compatible to any Mephisto module so I can try to determine where the problem may be... .
My problem is that after I made the 1st move, the board behave abnormal with random flashing light. Also, how do I verify the reed switch is defected. If it is defected, do I still hear the clicking sound when I put a magnet near it?

Thanks in advance.
The MMV is an 8 bit module and every board(Modular,Exclusive or Munchen)
Mephisto released was compatible with all 8 bit modules
the problems arise when you are using a 16/32 bit Mephisto module..
then certain boards that have not been upgraded will not take the 16/32 bit module
this sounds like a problem with your MMV module
does the startup screen show the word "Play" when first turned on?
if you have another Mephisto 8 bit try using it in the board
finally...there can also be problems if you are not using the proper adaptor with the proper specs
are you using an adaptor that came with the board?
if not..try using the board with batteries

Several Issues Regards
Steve
Chest-Nut

Post by Chest-Nut »

Thanks for helping out Steve..
I don't think the problem is just on the MMV, as I put it in my Senator Exclusive board, I have no problem at all, that is why it lead me to believe there may be some compatible issue. I did try battery to sure the power supply is ok. But it still give me the same problem. Since you have so many of these units, if you said they are compatible as long as they are 8 bits unit, then the issue must be on the board. :( For some reason as long as I start making the move or I let the unit to make the first move, it then flash 2 lights on some random square.. But after I power off or reset, it do the same thing again, but they could be on different squares.
Chest-Nut

Post by Chest-Nut »

The MMV doesn't have a "Play" display but with "HG55". According to the seller who sold me the MMV, it has the 550 opening book included. Since I can play it on my senator board, that should eliminate the issue just on the MMV, I put my senator in the modular board, I have the same problem.

One interesting thing is, when I power on the MMV on the modular board. Some time the "HG55" change to "HGbb". Basically, the top line of the 5 disappear and look like a "b". Hope you know what I mean.

If the reed switch is bad or become not sensitive enough to magnet will this be the problem? When I use a magnet test the reed swtich, some click louder than other, but if I use a stronger magnet, I can hear the clicking with no problem...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Chest-Nut wrote:The MMV doesn't have a "Play" display but with "HG55". According to the seller who sold me the MMV, it has the 550 opening book included.
Sorry but your MMV module has been modified and it not the normal module released for sale
the Normal MMV will show "Play" at start up
the HG 550 module was a book module sold separately and only when this module is inserted in the board will the MMV show HG55 at start up
you can see this module here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0922171154

Mephisto sold separate book modules for the MMI,MMII,MMIV and MMV

Mephisto never released an MMV with the book module included
nor did they release any of the above modules with the book modules included
there is also a good chance that your MMV has also been overclocked/tuned to run at 10 Mhz(Mephisto only released a 5 Mhz MMV)
this is a commonly seen home modification with the MMV
if so the 10 Mhz can cause problems in certain boards
Since it is now clear that you have a modified MMV module(with or without the overclocking)..there is no telling what boards it will or will not work in

MM(Modified Mephisto )Regards
Steve
Chest-Nut

Post by Chest-Nut »

Steve B wrote:
Chest-Nut wrote:The MMV doesn't have a "Play" display but with "HG55". According to the seller who sold me the MMV, it has the 550 opening book included.
Sorry but your MMV module has been modified and it not the normal module released for sale
the Normal MMV will show "Play" at start up
the HG 550 module was a book module sold separately and only when this module is inserted in the board will the MMV show HG55 at start up
you can see this module here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 0922171154

Mephisto sold separate book modules for the MMI,MMII,MMIV and MMV

Mephisto never released an MMV with the book module included
nor did they release any of the above modules with the book modules included
there is also a good chance that your MMV has also been overclocked/tuned to run at 10 Mhz(Mephisto only released a 5 Mhz MMV)
this is a commonly seen home modification with the MMV
if so the 10 Mhz can cause problems in certain boards
Since it is now clear that you have a modified MMV module(with or without the overclocking)..there is no telling what boards it will or will not work in

MM(Modified Mephisto )Regards
Steve
Dop :(
Good thing I still can play it with my other board.

My MMV doesn't have a home to stay and my modular board has no one to stay in.

:shock:

What can I do?

:oops: :roll:

Room and Board available but no booking regards,