Mephisto Modena

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IvenGO

Mephisto Modena

Post by IvenGO »

Hi all!

Im thinking about to get this device in my collection. Not sure if I really need it (because Im already have GK2100 and RS2250), but there are some important points for me to know about this unit:

1) Is it Selective search or Brute Force software inside?
2) Does the display works the same way as GK2100's or its buggy like Novag's models with single LCD? / does it show human player's time during its move?;
3) What about opening's book variability? => I mean, for example, which answers it makes playing by black against 1.e4 ? Because what I dislike in Zircon II - it doesnt play French Defence at all but plays unusual Alekhine's Defence (and does it in a bad way!).

Thanks in advance!
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Mephisto Modena

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:Hi all!

Im thinking about to get this device in my collection. Not sure if I really need it (because Im already have GK2100 and RS2250), but there are some important points for me to know about this unit:

2) Does the display works the same way as GK2100's or its buggy like Novag's models with single LCD? / does it show human player's time during its move?;
3) What about opening's book variability? => I mean, for example, which answers it makes playing by black against 1.e4 ? Because what I dislike in Zircon II - it doesnt play French Defence at all but plays unusual Alekhine's Defence (and does it in a bad way!).

Thanks in advance!
The Modena is an interesting computer because it has the same Morsch Engine as the CXG Sphinx Dominator which is not found in many dedicated computers
it is Selective Search as most Morsch engines are and has a SINGLE LINE display
it does display a 4 time chess clock showing the players total time and time on the move and the same for the opponent
it comes in the same type of housing as your Milano

it is not as strong as the two computers you already have however
i wouldnt pay more then $150 for a mint one with original box ,manual pieces ..etcetc.
i would imagine it will play the French but i havent used the computer for some time so i cant recall
you can read more here:
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... sto_Modena

Modena Motel Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

IvenGO wrote:3) What about opening's book variability? => I mean, for example, which answers it makes playing by black against 1.e4 ? Because what I dislike in Zircon II - it doesnt play French Defence at all but plays unusual Alekhine's Defence (and does it in a bad way!).
According to the Wiki, the Novag Jade II has the same firmware as the Zircon II. In my study of the openings diversity/variability of the Jade II, consistent with your experience with the Zircon II, the French did not show up at all in Normal mode and the Alekhine showed up 6% of the time. On the other hand, in maximum Random mode (ie. press Random until there are 3 bars), the French did show up 2% of the time while the Alekhine decreased to only 1%.

Speaking of the French opening, in that study, I was surprised how little it showed up overall. It was not present at all in the Jade (Zircon I) and Star Opal and relatively little in the Jade II (Zircon II). It did show up reasonably frequently in the Amber: 4%-Normal mode, 6%-Max Random mode. My understanding both from reading up on openings and following professional matches, the French is one of the most favored E2E4 defenses (totally irrelevent: I use it frequently) so I can't understand why it didn't have more of a presence in the 4 units studied (which would include the Zircon & Zircon II).
Larry

Post by Larry »

IvenGO wrote:

1. Either selective search or Brute force. You choose. Selective is default.
2. Yes, the display and menu are the familiar Morsch, ie, user friendly.
The Modena has the earlier GK2000 program, found first in Fidelity's
Travel Master, but less buggy. Rated a little under elo 1900.
3. Re: the opening book, you can choose "active" or "passive". I think
active is default. If the French does not come by itself, it's easily
forced by the human user, so no problem?
To me, the Modena is a sort of poor man's Atlanta. It has coordinate
lights, not one for each square, no hash, and is sold without a dust cover.
Still, a sturdy 'laptop' style housing with fine German verkmanship.
Larry
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
IvenGO wrote:

1. Either selective search or Brute force. You choose. Selective is default.
2. Yes, the display and menu are the familiar Morsch, ie, user friendly.
The Modena has the earlier GK2000 program, found first in Fidelity's
Travel Master, but less buggy. Rated a little under elo 1900.
3. Re: the opening book, you can choose "active" or "passive". I think
active is default. If the French does not come by itself, it's easily
forced by the human user, so no problem?
To me, the Modena is a sort of poor man's Atlanta. It has coordinate
lights, not one for each square, no hash, and is sold without a dust cover.
Still, a sturdy 'laptop' style housing with fine German verkmanship.
Larry
Sorry Larry
Modena does not offer the option to change from Selective Search to Brute force
it also does not offer the user the option to switch between a passive or active book..although the user can ask the computer to play a different opening move by searching the moves in the computers book and choosing an "active" or" passive" move
these two options are present in the Tmaster..perhaps there is where you thought the Modena also had this option?
the engine is the same as the Sphinx Dominator first released in 1989 the other engines you mention were released at the same time as the Modena in 1992 and even here the engine is not the same as the Tmaster
a little research of the literature of the time mentions that the Modena had a stronger endgame then the Tmaster (Selective Search No.39 April-May 1992)

Errata Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:
i would imagine it will play the French but i havent used the computer for some time so i cant recall
Just preformed a mini-test of Modena's response to 1.e4
1..c5 Twice
1..e5 Twice
1..e6 Once

French Regards
Steve
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

BIG THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR INFO!!!

Yes, I have read previously that Modena contains CXG Dominator v2.05 software (final, fixed/bug-free!). Just cared about 1-LCD comparing to Sphinx with 2-LCDs and their proper usage...

About forcing openings: there is a difference, because I can force Zircon II to play e6 but it does have nothing in its book vs 3.Nc3 reply (only vs 3.Nd2); comparing to TurboKing that doesnt play e6 itself too but when You force it to do this it has good knowledge of French Defence both 3.Nc3 and 3.Nd2 variations!

Maybe Modena also has 1..c6 and 1..d6 in its book? ...at least to play by white against black/human opponent...
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Im interested in exchanging my RS2250XL on Modena, so if anyone will - write me on email please: johnhard@mail.ru
Thanks!