World Champion without cheating

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

World Champion without cheating

Post by Harvey Williamson »

The original article is in German here http://www.ovb-online.de/waldkraiburg/w ... 37716.html

Here is a Google translation:

The trophy of the International Computer Games Association (Horsehead) now belongs to him: Erdogan Gunes (here with his daughter Aleyna). He was later to the computer chess world champion crowned World Cup 2007 and 2010, came out because now that the original champion Vasik Rajlich had cheated. "He used all the passages of a third party computer program and sold it as his to win," said Gunes.

Because the world champion computer chess scene, Vasik Rajlich, foreign codes had been included in his program, he denied his title again. For the years 2007 and 2010 the Waldkraiburger Erdogan Gunes now slipped to the top and was named later.

"Hello lets Guttenberg," says Erdogan Gunes, with the computer chess programs have won several world title at the International Computer Games Association (ICGA). Two programs play against each other.

The world champion program "Rybka", written by the computer chess program developers Vasik Rajlich dominated the scene since 2007 and won the title four times. Then it turned out that Rajlich had plagiarized codes of powerful software. And so is "Rybka" Now as part-plagiarism and all the tracks were denied him. This slipped Erdogan Gunes, the 2007 and 2010 runner-up, was at the head, and later was given the title awarded.

"This is a great satisfaction for me," said the 41-year Waldkraiburger. But he could buy a program developer nothing. He earned his money by marketing the programs professionally.

Missed by the World Cup victory, because it is inconsistent with plagiarism program that time was considered the strongest of the scene, subject, he was "average five-digit sums slipped through their fingers." Vasik Rajlich made his program then these deals. From zero to one hundred, the unknown programmers have taken the lead. The unexplained increase in performance was particularly startled many in the scene. As a committee of ICGA, which was set with 34 programmers in the last year painstakingly went looking, came out in the end that Vasik had with the programs "Friut" and "Crafty" served at the codes, such as Spiegel Online reported. And because the program "Rybka" commercially, which is to this extent is not permitted.
Rajlich had all titles, awards and trophies back and was disqualified for life from the ICGA. Neither he nor any of its products may never again take part in such competitions.

Gunes said that it was quite common in the industry, to get inspiration from other codes. "You learn from each other and can also use the public domain code." Modifications of the source code are permitted. The lead here and there similarities. "But it's in the computer world, a fine line, to learn from and to steal foreign ideas."

But Rajlich infringed licenses and sells the program as its intellectual property. "It turned out that he had plagiarized 85 percent. Cheeky He has claimed that it was his genius," laments Gunes, who knows how much work put in as a Computer Chess World Cup preparations. Time, the program's go for it and about his three daughters abgehe.

Heuer Günes no need to prepare for World Cup. Maybe he manages his daughter Aleyna (9) to teach the game of chess with real farmers and women. Chuckling, he says, "I told my kids when they scratch, bin my characters already, they must take up again properly."

kla / Waldkraiburger News
Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

I get the general idea but google translation is terrible. Wish someone could do a better job.
How proud I am that I was banned from their website several years ago.
:D