On Buying At Online Chess Stores

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
SirDave

On Buying At Online Chess Stores

Post by SirDave »

I just ordered what will likely be my final purchase of a brand-new board: the Novag Obsidian. I'm familiar with its limitations (particularly the lack of varying the openings as White), but was impressed with how many people like it aesthetically and the type of game it plays. I'm more of a player-collector than collector-player and I enjoy swapping in and out the boards I'm playing at any particular time. My guess is that boards like the Obsidian and Citrine are going to soon be unavailable in chess store inventories and the eBay price is going to go up. (BTW: I do know that the Obsidian and Citrine use much the same firmware.)

Anyway, my experience with the purchase impressed upon me the importance of good customer relations when it comes to the chess stores that have survived given the ever decreasing dedicated board inventories. Over the last year I have purchased new boards such as the Saitek Master Chess, Saitek Advanced and Expert Travel, Saitek Chess Challenger and Novag Star Opal so I've had some experience with particular stores.

It seems to me that those stores that survive are going to be those with not only the best chess (non-board) inventories, but also the best customer public relations. Overall, my experience has been good to excellent. Most stores have very personable people answering the phone. A particular standout in this area and in service has been The Chess House in Washington state.

However, at the opposite spectrum is a store based in Florida (I won't name it). I've only bought one board there, but I have inquired about other boards or related matters there at least 3 other times. Each time I believe the same person has answered and each time I came away with a sour taste in my mouth. The only reason I finally bought a board there was because I couldn't pass up the price and shipping was free.

Invariably, when asking a simply question at that store, you are treated either like you are some sort of cretin or at the very least like the person has a lot better things to do. This site sells copies of various chess board manuals for $15 each. That's fine, but the shipping is $9. Since most manuals could be sent for a maximum of $3 by USPS, I inquired as to whether the shipping price was really $9. The response was along the lines of that's what it is, take it or leave it.

My most recent experience was buying a board. At one point, the fellow asked me if I need an AC adapter. Here's how it went:

Him, 'Do you need an AC adapter?'
Me, 'No that's fine, I already have a Novag adapter.'
Him, 'What Novag model do you have the Novag adapter for?'
Me (having a middle-age moment), 'I can't remember, but it's the usual 9 volt, 300 mA adapter.'
Him, 'I don't know anything about specs. I can only tell by the model you have.'
Me, 'It's okay, I'll just use batteries with it.'

Now, silly me, but doesn't Novag use basically the same adapter for all its boards? It turns out that I have 3 of them and they are all the same whether for the Citrine or the Star Opal. Anyway, my point is that why wouldn't this guy know something about the specs for the adapter being sold for their units?

And there was no 'Thanks for your purchase' or anything remotely like it.

End of rant. :)
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

I know what store are you talking about. I ordered chess pieces replacement for my Munich Mephisto and never got them. I called two weeks later and I got a refund. This guy doesnt have everything he advertises.
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

I have spoken to this guy. Talk about the rudest CSR on the planet earth. It will be quite lengthy if I describe in detail my 2 recent experiences with him. I ended up cussing him out after he raised his voice on me about three times while I was keeping my cool. I will tell you, partially the name of the store is Classic... I actually spoke to the manager to complain about the guy. The manager's name is Walter. He's a nice fella but I'm not sure what he has done so far. I wish he'd be re-trained or let go if he does not improve his customer service. My blood was boiling as I was talking to that CSR. Makes me wonder about the company's hiring process.
Celadus

Re: On Buying At Online Chess Stores

Post by Celadus »

SirDave wrote:
However, at the opposite spectrum is a store based in Florida (I won't name it). I've only bought one board there, but I have inquired about other boards or related matters there at least 3 other times. Each time I believe the same person has answered and each time I came away with a sour taste in my mouth. The only reason I finally bought a board there was because I couldn't pass up the price and shipping was free.

Invariably, when asking a simply question at that store, you are treated either like you are some sort of cretin or at the very least like the person has a lot better things to do. This site sells copies of various chess board manuals for $15 each. That's fine, but the shipping is $9. Since most manuals could be sent for a maximum of $3 by USPS, I inquired as to whether the shipping price was really $9. The response was along the lines of that's what it is, take it or leave it.

End of rant. :)
I ordered chessmen for the Novag Cornelian II as advertized. I received black & white pieces like those seen with the Obsidian. I phoned and explained the problem. I was told that Novag now only sold these black & white men. I then did some research and found that not only did Novag sell the rosewood pieces but they were avaialble now. I phoned the Florida company again and stated my case. I was told I was an idiot and did not know as much as they who were in the chess business...and then they hug-up.
The black & white pieces I received from them are wooden and good quality so I cannot realy complain I suppose. But I wanted rosewood (black) pieces.
I will never,never purchase anything again from these people.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Your comments Dave and those of the other members posting in this thread ..about that company.. are all spot on
the few times i called them i got the impression that my call was being automatically forwarded to somebody that was sitting at his desk in his normal day job totally unrelated to selling chess computers(probably a bookkeeper or something) or he was answering the call from his home
never felt they were a "real "store

Most of my dedicated computers were bought from "Your Move"
from the mid-1980's Onward
i always lived within driving distance to their store ..even as they changed locations over the years
a real brick and mortar shop with shelves filled with chess computers
and chess computers set up on display which a customer could play a bit with
i remember the feeling i would get when i walked into the place
seeing all of those brand new chess computers in their shiny new boxes
i was like a kid in a candy store
last time i was there was a couple of years ago to buy the newly released Novag 2Robot
i'm much older now but the feeling was the same

Peter Pan Regards
Steve
Scrooge_Mcdude

Post by Scrooge_Mcdude »

We all know what the store is. If I have my way, I'd totally refuse doing business with it. It's just that as these dedicated chess computers are getting rarer and rarer, I sometimes feel that store is somehow indispensable for supplies. What I do is I call the store on week days as most likely I'd get a more pleasant CSR. I've ordered about 15 adapters from him and everything went smoothly. The rude one - I got on a Sunday, and on a holiday.

By the way, I'm a new collector of dedicated chess computers. I had my first chess computer in 1986. It's a Scisys Turbostar 432 with KSO That I put it in the back burner for over 20 years. I started having interest again about 3 months ago and have purchased about 50 chess computers in that short span of time. Most of my acquisition are from bids/sale in eBay, but I have purchased quite a few also from collectors in Europe, namely Germany, UK, the Netherlands, and also Brazil. I have made good friends thru correspondence with these great guys. Two of my most treasured dedicateds are the Tasc R30 v2.5 from a collector in Brazil who has become my good friend, and the Revelation I, a product of the great guy, Ruud Martin, himself. I love the Tasc, and the Revelation that's why I contacted Mr Ruud Martin to put me on pre-order for Revelation II. But what drove me strongly to start collecting is this site. I've been a silent reader until I decided to sign up for membership recently. This site has given me so much valuable information, and, again, rekindled my interest on dedicated chess computers.

Well, fellas, this is rather lengthy now, but I wish to request each and every member to please - let us keep this forum alive.

Best regards to all,
CCWB
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I have had mainly good experiences with online retail purchases, both here in Australia and abroad (US and Germany). I bought three Excalibur machines from Niggemann in Germany without any problems and have bought a couple of machines from Chess Central in the US. Very good service in both cases.

I did not have as good an experience with The Chess House in the US. I bought a couple of Mephisto Maestro handhelds from them. One was fine and obviously brand new, but the other was clearly a used demo, complete with almost flat batteries, some cosmetic issues and an unfinished game in memory! (I was buying new and expected them both to be new).

Peter Parr from Sydney (Chess Discount Sales) is now selling new machines on eBay and I bought a spare Star Opal from him since I was not able to get to his new store at Redfern and was worried about missing out on one. Perfect service consistent with what I have experienced as a 30 years customer at his brick and mortar store.

I know what Steve means about that kid in a candy store feeling. I still remember those wonderful trips to Chess Discount Sales in the early to mid 80s when brand new Mephistos, Fidelity and Scisys machines were stacked to the rafters. It made it all the better back then because this was the era where personal computers were often less powerful than the dedicated machines (so this really was state of the art stuff) and the dedicated machines had reached club standard. I remember I used to compare the latest machines to the human rating lists, noting how far up the rating list the best machines were positioned.

It was also a sobering time - I remember being the operator of the Novag Super Constellation in an under 1800 Sydney tournament and seeing it get badly crushed by a 1700 player. But back then, Australian ratings were much lower than ELO ratings for the same playing standard.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.