Mephisto Exclusive (China) LED's

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
BillT

Mephisto Exclusive (China) LED's

Post by BillT »

Hi All.
I have recently aquired a Mephisto Exclusive (China built) with V1 module and 6th gen display..It seems to work fine and I have been having some fun matching it against some of my other dedicated's.
However there is an issue with it in that the LED in the B1 square stays on (even with the piece on it) at about half brightness.The reed switch appears to work ok as the program recognises that the piece moves away from the square (and lights up the LED fully to indicate it as normal)...hence it is ok to play full games with no problem. Also the LED in square B8 doesnt work at all(assume faulty LED).
Does anyone have any ideas what the issue is ...could they both be connected??seeing as they are both on the B column?.
I'm fairly competent with a soldering iron (I've already sorted out some of the reed switches) so I intend to get a new LED (probably from my local Maplin)and install it in B8,but am not sure of the spec for it. Can anyone advise ?? or have thoughts about it in general?
Regards
Bill
BillT

LEDS on Mephisto Exclusive

Post by BillT »

An update on this issue is that I have now repaired the B8 LED (a simple dry solder joint),but things seem even worse now..with all B LEDs lighting slightly and B1 brightly when doing a position check.
I am not sure if its the board or possibly even the module.
Can anyone shed any light on this ,,,maybe had a similar experience.??
Or does anyone have or has got acces to a schematic/wiring diagram for the exclusive board. If so I'd be really grateful...I feel sure this issue is repairable .
Many thanks in advance
Regards
Bill