Mephisto Brickette

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Goren2

Mephisto Brickette

Post by Goren2 »

Hello to all,
so I recently bought a brickette for super cheap, and it works well, it seems, except for 1 number pad button which gets no output when it's pressed. I wanted to open the thing up and perhaps fix whatever needs fixing, but I ran into a problem: There are no screws, and it seems it's held together by those really annoying pressure plastic hinges (or however you call them) which I always used to break whenever I needed to open something up. And if I didn't break them, then I sure did scratch the area around them with a screwdriver. How exactly does one open the brickette up without damaging it?
Cheers,
Goren
Goren2

Post by Goren2 »

Anybody? nobody? Will my Brickette stay there lonely and defective cause no one wants to help...?

Cheers,
Goren
Larry

Post by Larry »

Goren2 wrote:Anybody? nobody? Will my Brickette stay there lonely and defective cause no one wants to help...?

Cheers,
Goren
Hi Goren, and sorry for the late reply. Whenever you take the back off
a chess computer and need to unclip the plastic hinges, use a kitchen
spatula or something else made of strong plastic, never anything
metallic. That way you don't scratch the computer. Regarding the
faulty switch, it has formed a coating of oxide over the years, and
just needs the contacts scraping a little. Then it will be like new again.
While youve got the back off, do all the control switches including
the ones that are working fine.
all the best...
Larry
Goren2

Post by Goren2 »

Thanks Larry; I actually bought a second non-functioning Brikette as well just so I could see how to open it. Unluckily, however, it has screws. I would have loved to double check with the old one I had, but it is already in Shanghai. So - unless I am mistaken - there are 2 brikette versions; one with screws in the back, and one with plastic hinges (or whatever) on the sides. One last possibility is that the screws were actually hidden in some sort of plastic mini-cover in the version without screws (as in, the screws were glued over with hot plastic).
I have to wait 2 months to find out,
Cheers,
Goren