Collector's Corner..On The Unusual Case Of EAS Model Numbers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Collector's Corner..On The Unusual Case Of EAS Model Numbers

Post by Steve B »

The Fidelity EAS computer has received alot of attention these past few weeks with one selling for more then $2700

over the years i have noticed that the EAS has some of the strangest model numbers out of all of their computers
Generally Fidelity in the days before they assigned numeric model numbers would tag a model with a series of letters and perhaps an A or B to signify a different version
examples would be the Sensory 12..Model SC12 or SC12B
the Super 9 ..SU9 ..and the Super 9 Deluxe .. DS9
The Poppy...P

The EAS however seems to have been an exception with model designations ranging from ...
EAS,EWC,EAS-C,E4.0 and a few more i dont recall offhand
we know the EAS was released with 3 different programs and compounding that..different clock speeds.. but it would be nice if there was some logic to their choice of identification
EAS v1..v2...v3...etc etc

Collecting can be harder then Rocket Science Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve, my understanding is that the first Elite A/S models displayed the 'score' in hexadecimal, but later Fidelity made some firmware changes which included the score being given in decimal format. My question is- If the model is EAS, does that mean that it is the first iteration of the ELite and is unlikely to have the firmware change?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:Steve, my understanding is that the first Elite A/S models displayed the 'score' in hexadecimal, but later Fidelity made some firmware changes which included the score being given in decimal format. My question is- If the model is EAS, does that mean that it is the first iteration of the ELite and is unlikely to have the firmware change?
Hi Dave

the decimal change was not in the original version(old Prestige program)..here i think the only model number that appears is EAS
i am fairly certain the decimal change first appeared in the 2nd version ..the Budapest..i will verify this later today..
Budapest also had the model designation EAS(as well as other designations)
i know the decimal change was definitely in the 3rd revision..the Glasgow
the model numbers for the Glasgow can also vary
bottom line ..if you have an EAS model desgination i dont think you can automatically assume it will have decimal score notation(because it could be either an original or a Budapest)

the model numbers for my EAS's are:
Budapest-EWC
Glasgow-EAS-C

Even more Unusual Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote: i am fairly certain the decimal change first appeared in the 2nd version ..the Budapest..i will verify this later today..

Steve
i can Confirm that the Budapest does have decimal scoring
interestingly both the Budapest and Glasgow continue to show Search depths using Hexadecimal not decimal
in addition..for both Budapest and Glasgow the computer offered the option to change the scoring back to Hexadecimal ..although i cant imagine anyone actually ever choosing that option willingly

Dewey Decimal Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

A quick guide on how to determine which version EAS you have(regardless of the arcane model numbering system )

Most collectors know that they have a Glasgow by a simple observation
while the computer is pondering a move it will alternate the blinking of the CHECK and YOUR MOVE Leds
a steadily lit YOUR MOVE led..while the computer is pondering its move.. is an indication that the EAS is either the Original or Budapest
how then to determine which version?

as mentioned above.. Decimal scoring was first introduced in the Budapest as well as the option to return to the dreaded Hexadecimal scoring
also ...
for the Budapest the start up procedure was changed ..it was no longer necessary to erase the computers memory by pressing GC..D8..CL
The Budapest was ready to play simply by plugging it in

in summary..
if you have alternating leds you have a Glasgow
if your computer does not alternate the Led's when on the move and you have only hexadecimal scoring ..you have an original version
if your computer does not alternate the Led's when on the move and you have decimal scoring ..you have the Budapest version

The Devil Is In The Details Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Thanks for the info Steve. There are very few out there that have the wherewithal to come up with those details.

I'm wondering if there is another less specific method. I notice that the manual on the Zanchetta site is (likely) the original Glasgow version with a notice at the beginning about the change to decimal scoring and the fact that memory doesn't have to be cleared at startup anymore so this would likely have been what was provided for the Budapest version.

I would think that after the Budapest version the changes would have been incorporated into the manual...or maybe not, but if that is true, could one tell that one likely has the Budapest if it has the notice at the beginning and that you have later versions if the decimal scoring etc. is described within the manual?

Stevepedia Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Actually Dave..
the manual was never updated for any of the later versions
Fidelity simply provided an addendum
describing the new features or changes from the version preceding it
in my two manuals the addendum is a separate sheet of parer not attached to the manual itself..a loose page placed in the front of the manual
after the addendum you have the same manual for all versions.page for page
this was a pattern of theirs doing the same thing with the Mobile Master and EAG 2100 for example
The entire Excel Mach I-IV series have the very same manual..word for word....etc..etc..

what makes the Eas so unusual are the Cryptic model designations which really have no rhyme or Reason and which oft times leads to confusion as to which version that particular EAS really is

Eas..y It Aint Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I wonder how many people get an Elite from eBay without knowing which model they are actually getting? I had enough of hexadecimal in my programming days and I sure wouldn't want to have to deal with it now just to see a simple score.

In fact, the part of the manual that deals with translation from hexadecimal to decimal is a little on the bizarre side. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when they decided to leave it like that for the first EAS ie. Glasgow.

What were they thinking regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:I wonder how many people get an Elite from eBay without knowing which model they are actually getting?
Exactly
we can see from all of these recent EAS Ebay sales that the sellers have no clue what they are selling and the buyers just dont seem to care..bidding with wild abandon ..not sure if the bidders even care if the computer is working 100% either

EAS ..The Next Internet Bubble Regards
Steve
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

The chess program contained within the EAS-Budapest was the strongest
money could buy back in 1983 when it won the WMCCC Title in Hungary
to see if this old Champion still could play some chess i chose (for no particular reason)
the Fidelity Travel master as an opponent in a 1 Min per move game
I have a few Travel Masters..this particular one hails from the Land
Down Under(Where women glow and men plunder)

The SSDF rated the EAS Budapest 1667
Selective search rates the Travel Master 1882

In The Game

TM had its Tournament Book locked and Loaded
Both Computers were Out Of Book after move 8
TM out searches the EAS significantly reaching 7 ply in the 60 seconds and smokin
about 1000 positions per second
EAS just manages a 5ply search
this huge advantage can prove deadly to the EAS in an endgame so the only chance
the EAS has in the game is to achieve some concrete advantage out of the opening
which can carry through to the middle game
EAS does win a pawn out of the opening and it does manage to hold its own
through the middle game
sadly in the endgame TM has a passed A pawn which the EAS allows to advance until
its too late to stop promotion
a result of simply being out searched a few ply
the rest was not pretty

[Date "2012.5.5"]
[White "EAS Budapest"]
[Black "Travel Master"]
[Time Control "1 Min.Avg"]
[Result "0-1"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Bb5 Bb4 5.O-O O-O 6.d3 d6 7.Bg5 Bxc3
8.bxc3 Qe7 9.Re1 Be6 10.d4 Bg4 11.h3 Bc8 12.d5 Nd8 13.Qd2 a6 14.Bd3 b6
15.Rf1 Bb7 16.Nh4 Bc8 17.f4 c6 18.fxe5 dxe5 19.c4 Qc5+ 20.Qf2 Qxf2+
21.Rxf2 Nd7 22.Be7 Re8 23.Bxd8 Rxd8 24.dxc6 Nc5 25.Rb1 Rd6 26.Rxb6 Bd7
27.Nf5 Re6 28.Rf3 Kf8 29.Rg3 g6 30.Nh6 Rxc6 31.Rxc6 Bxc6 32.Ng4 Nd7
33.Rf3 Kg7 34.Rf1 Rb8 35.c3 h5 36.Nf2 Rb2 37.Bb1 Nc5 38.Re1 Bd7
39.Nd3 Nxd3 40.Bxd3 Rxa2 41.Rc1 Rd2 42.Bc2 Bc6 43.c5
a5 44.g4 a4 45.gxh5 gxh5 46.Bd1 Ra2 47.Bc2 Rb2 48.c4 a3 49.Bd3 a2 50.Kf1
f5 51.exf5 e4 52.Be2 Rb1 53.Rd1 Rxd1+ 54.Bxd1 a1=Q 55.Ke2 Qb2+ 56.Ke3
Qc1+ 57.Ke2 e3 0-1

FINAL POSITION
[fen]8/6k1/2b5/2P2P1p/2P5/4p2P/4K3/2qB4 w - - 0 58[/fen]

EAS Resigned here by announcing a mate in 3 against itself

OH well..perhaps playing against a computer rated 220 points stronger was a bit too ambitious..
especially if it is from Australia

Better Run..Better Take Cover Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

As usual, very interesting Steve. For me, it raises the question as to why people are so interested in the EAS. Just as the TM trounced your Budapest, my guess is that the result would be the same for a number of portables with ELOs of 1800-2000 (Jade II, Amber etc) and which have more built-in bells and whistles than the EAS. Sure, the Elite is prettier than these portables, but in this day and age does one want to pay a lot of money for a unit that will not get you past the early club player category? Just so I'm clear, I'm not questioning one buying an EAS per se, I'm questioning why the sudden jump in price people are willing to pay.

Still, I certainly understand why a collector would be interested in the Elites because they are beautiful units and are of historical interest, but are all those who are bidding collectors? For instance, take the Elite that went for $2700+ recently. A true collector (ie. one that wants collector value for the money) wouldn't, out of the blue, pay that amount. It was an EAS model so as per your information, it would be a Glasgow or a Budapest. I wonder if the buyer checked on that. But then again, as has been mentioned, maybe $2000 of that was for the 24k gold plated printer... :roll: It's all a mystery, but,

Inquiring Minds Want To Know Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

good points all Dave
i cant for the life of me explain that world record price of $2700
the EAS auctions soon after that brought the price back to earth at least somewhat
there is another current auction up now where the price is already $565 and 8 days to go yet
(hopefully this auction wont go missing like the Prestige auction did)
that is not to suggest i wouldnt pay several thousand dollars for a single computer..i would and i have..several times..but these were for very rare chess computers ..which the EAS certainly is not by any definition of the word

as to the shellacking the EAS suffered at the hands of the TM...
the EAS was a World Champion and there is something to be said for that
perhaps i will pit it against a computer of its own Era..to show how far ahead of the field it was in its day

CXG Chess 2001 On Deck Regards
Steve
rlsuth

Post by rlsuth »

Steve B wrote: i cant for the life of me explain that world record price of $2700

Come on Steve, you know how shill bidding works. The person who won that auction was the same person who put it up for sale. He reports that the winning bidder didn't come through with the offer and gets a refund from eBay. Then he offers the item to everybody who bid on the auction. It's possible that he was the only bidder on his own auction (multiple accounts). The tactic works to snare an unsuspecting buyer, at the last second, more often than not. It's an oft used tactic.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

rlsuth wrote:
Steve B wrote: i cant for the life of me explain that world record price of $2700

Come on Steve, you know how shill bidding works. The person who won that auction was the same person who put it up for sale. He reports that the winning bidder didn't come through with the offer and gets a refund from eBay. Then he offers the item to everybody who bid on the auction. It's possible that he was the only bidder on his own auction (multiple accounts). The tactic works to snare an unsuspecting buyer, at the last second, more often than not. It's an oft used tactic.
Well yeah, there are all sorts of shill scenarios. My brother has an EAS and wants to get top dollar for it. I put it up as mine for sale and he and his friends bid it up to $2700. Then I tell eBay the buyer didn't come through and I get a refund from eBay. Now my brother actually puts his EAS up for sale and is more likely to get a good price. And so on.

A shill situation is possible here, but one would expect it to be a little more subtle (ie. not at $2700 that totally stretches credibility) for maximum effectiveness. But you never know...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

I thought it only fair to have the EAS Budapest play one more
game against a computer from its own age and time

i choose the 1984 CXG Chess 2001 ..a mid-sized, plastic,
auto-sensory board containing Lang's Cyrus Engine
Selective Search rated the CXG Chess 2001 1500

In The Game...
Both Computers were Out Of Book after move 3
a sharp struggle takes place with the EAS achieving the Material advantage of R+2P vs B+N
2001 fights hard but once again an advanced A pawn decides the game but not before EAS brilliantly
sacrifices a R for a P at move 40 to clear the path for its advance and a winning advantage of Q+3P vs B+N+2P
2001 attempts to build a fortress surrounding its K with all of its remaining material but slowly
over the course of the next 25 moves EAS grinds the 2001 down(as well as your humble correspondent) and wins a N
an exhausted 2001( as well as your humble correspondent)throws in the towel
[Date " 5.6.2012"]
[White "CXG Chess 2001"]
[Black "EAS Budapest"]
[Time Control "1 Min.Avg.]
[Result "0-1"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 g6 4.Nc3 Nge7 5.d4 exd4 6.Nxd4 Bg7 7.Be3 O-O
8.O-O d6 9.Bc4 Nxd4 10.Bxd4 Nc6 11.Bxg7 Kxg7 12.Qd2 Qh4 13.g3 Qh5 14.Nd5
Bh3 15.Rfe1 Qf3 16.Nf4 Bd7 17.Be2 Qxe4 18.Bg4 Qd4 19.Qxd4+ Nxd4 20.Bxd7
Nxc2 21.Rac1 Nxe1 22.Rxe1 c6 23.Re7 Kf6 24.Re3 Rad8 25.Bg4 d5 26.Ra3 a6
27.Rb3 Rb8 28.Kg2 Rfd8 29.Nd3 h5 30.Bf3 a5 31.Rb6 d4 32.Nc5 Kg7 33.Rxb7
Rdc8 34.Ne6+ Kf6 35.Rxb8 Rxb8 36.Nxd4 Rxb2 37.Nxc6 Rxa2 38.Nd4 a4 39.Bc6
a3 40.Nb5 Rxf2+ 41.Kxf2 a2 42.Nc3 a1=Q 43.Ne4+ Ke7 44.Kg2 Qb2+ 45.Nf2 f5
46.Bd5 Kf6 47.Kf3 Qc3+ 48.Kg2 Qd4 49.Bb3 Qc5 50.Bd1 Qd5+ 51.Bf3 Qd4
52.Be2 h4 53.gxh4 Qxh4 54.h3 Qg5+ 55.Kf3 Qh5+ 56.Ke3 f4+ 57.Kd2 Qa5+
58.Kd1 Qa1+ 59.Kc2 Qa2+ 60.Kd1 Qb1+ 61.Kd2 Qb4+ 62.Kd3 Qd6+ 63.Kc3 Qc5+
64.Kb3 Qxf2 65.Bg4 f3 66.Bd7 Qb6+
67.Ka4 Qd4+ 68.Kb3 Qxd7 69.h4 f2 0-1

FINAL POSITION
[fen]8/3q4/5kp1/8/7P/1K6/5p2/8 w - - 0 70[/fen]
i resigned for the 2001 here

From a drubbing at the hands of a $100 chess computer to a
victory that would make any World Champion proud
the EAS leaves the playing hall secretly amused that its stock was any wheres near
$2700 Regards
Steve