Settings for multiple cores

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
soxthecat

Settings for multiple cores

Post by soxthecat »

Hi

I'm a new HIARCS user. Currently purchased 13 MP version while waiting on 14.

When I added it to the Arena engine it selected 12 cores on my i7 intel 6 core CPU.

I set it to 6 core as I have read elsewhere that the hyper threading to have virtual 12 core impeded chess engines searches. This is particularly mentioned in setting up Houdini. Set it to 6 not 12.

Is 6 correct for HIARCS????

Also when in the ARENA interface HIARCS only uses its opening book when set to play a GAME in 30, etc. When set for 30 sec / move or something else it just starts evaluating positions. No books in arena are loaded. Use all the install instructions off the HIARCS info pages.

Thanks for the help!
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Settings for multiple cores

Post by Harvey Williamson »

soxthecat wrote:Hi

I'm a new HIARCS user. Currently purchased 13 MP version while waiting on 14.

When I added it to the Arena engine it selected 12 cores on my i7 intel 6 core CPU.

I set it to 6 core as I have read elsewhere that the hyper threading to have virtual 12 core impeded chess engines searches. This is particularly mentioned in setting up Houdini. Set it to 6 not 12.

Is 6 correct for HIARCS????

Also when in the ARENA interface HIARCS only uses its opening book when set to play a GAME in 30, etc. When set for 30 sec / move or something else it just starts evaluating positions. No books in arena are loaded. Use all the install instructions off the HIARCS info pages.

Thanks for the help!
I would advise you to switch off hyperthreading in the bios for chess engines.