New Hiarcs on the new iPad "3" ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bouddha

New Hiarcs on the new iPad "3" ?

Post by Bouddha »

Hi all,

A new version of Hiarcs using the 4 cores of that tablet would be great !

I know that an answer could be; "well the battery life...."

Today, Hiarcs on iPad 2 can play a few hours with no battery problems.... So I wouldn't mind that a new version of Hiarcs would use all cores of my iPad.

regards
bazder

Post by bazder »

I think the new iPad has a dual core CPU and a quad core graphics processor.

The more important question to me is how well the old Hiarcs utilizes 4X more pixels !

I'm definitely buying a new iPad but wonder about waiting for the next version of Hiarcs.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

The new ipad3 has 1.5GHz dual core A5X processor and twice the resolution of IPad2.Not sure if Mark plans on taking advantage of multi-core processors as the iPhone 4s does have dual core and so far only the free StockFish makes use of the extra processing power.
bazder

Post by bazder »

Cubeman wrote:The new ipad3 has twice the resolution of IPad2
I think the new iPad has twice the number of horizontal pixels and twice the number of vertical pixels... so wouldn't the resolution increase by 4X ?

It would be nice to hear from Mark or other Hiarcs devs about what to expect. Will there be an updated version just for the new iPad ? If I buy the existing version for iPad and an updated one is released soon after will it be a free upgrade ? ???
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Yes 4x resolution, I read an early report on iPad 3 which stated the "twice resolution of iPad 2".Any way I don't think it makes any difference to ipad apps since the screen proportions are still the same, I suppose some apps could be developed much the same as the iphone apps now support retina display.But Chess games being rather static displays won't enjoy the benefits of the extra graphic processing power.
bazder

Post by bazder »

Cubeman wrote:But Chess games being rather static displays won't enjoy the benefits of the extra graphic processing power.
I just looked at Hiarcs on a new iPad and everything is razor sharp EXCEPT the pieces !!!

Yes , the new display is so amazingly good that by comparison the edges of the pieces look fuzzy compared to the text , menu , etc. This can obviously be fixed by updating the images for the pieces and I really hope they do.

ciao
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Someone has tested the new ipad 3 against ipad 2 with the Stockfish chess engine.They get the about the same speed of kn/s so the new processor is only marginally better approx 2% speed up.
IA

Post by IA »

Hello Cubeman, Apple's tactic is to take 2 Tablet (iPad) less than 1 year, to late 2012 surely will draw good Apple iPad3+ with 4 Cores to avoid running out of phase with Android, but Android is much more advanced for chess, within will the powerful little Sansung Galaxy S3 chip with 4 Cores Exynos +1500 Mhz where you put the powerful Deep Komodo 4 and Deep Houdini 3 with +3200 Elo ( That will be on Android ) , this not counting the powerful Tegra 3 with 4 Cores that are on sale, Android is much better chess.

The iPad 2 and the new iPad equally potent ( 2 Cores CPU ) , the speed difference is due to the memory Ram of 1 Ghz of New iPad 2012.

Remember that the Chip of Apple are manufactured by Samsung, Samsung is several generations ahead of Apple as it puts its best Chip Smartphone and Tablet, no color, is much better Android is much more variety of program and much more power.

Regards...:wink: