Harcs 13.2MP causing Chessbase to freeze

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Michael Blake

Harcs 13.2MP causing Chessbase to freeze

Post by Michael Blake »

Hi,
I use a Mac laptop and having no decent chess software for it I thought that I would install a Windows 7 partition and run Chessbase from there.

Everything seems to work just fine until I start up Hiarcs 13.2 MP which I have running as a UCI engine. The problem is that when analysing a game with the Hiarcs engine, Chessbase freezes repeatedly and when it starts to run again I find that the game moves are all blanked out until I refresh the tabs.

I thought at first that it was Chessbase causing the problem so I tried the built in Fritz SE11 engine and found no issues with it. Hence it is Hiarcs that causes Chessbase to freeze up for me.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I'm wondering if I need to adjust the Hiarcs settings which currently give it 100% CPU?

As an alternative I am trying out the SCID database program which I can run with the Mac OS.

Thanks,
Mickey
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Harcs 13.2MP causing Chessbase to freeze

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Michael Blake wrote:Hi,
I use a Mac laptop and having no decent chess software for it I thought that I would install a Windows 7 partition and run Chessbase from there.

Everything seems to work just fine until I start up Hiarcs 13.2 MP which I have running as a UCI engine. The problem is that when analysing a game with the Hiarcs engine, Chessbase freezes repeatedly and when it starts to run again I find that the game moves are all blanked out until I refresh the tabs.

I thought at first that it was Chessbase causing the problem so I tried the built in Fritz SE11 engine and found no issues with it. Hence it is Hiarcs that causes Chessbase to freeze up for me.

Has anyone come across this problem before? I'm wondering if I need to adjust the Hiarcs settings which currently give it 100% CPU?

As an alternative I am trying out the SCID database program which I can run with the Mac OS.

Thanks,
Mickey
1 workaround might be when you create uci engine select below normal priority for Hiarcs. or just wait for Chess Explorer!
Jnaud

Post by Jnaud »

I have a similar problem in Shredder GUI. I cannot analyze a game without Shredder chrashes before the end. I thougt it was a problem between Shredder and Hiarcs, but now I'm not so sure... is it Hiarcs?
When you see a good move, look for a better one - Lasker
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

In my case it is definitely Hiarcs that causes the freeze up, frequently when running Hiarcs within CB the display freezes and Chessbase gets reported by Windows as 'not responding', but if I wait a few minutes the program usually kicks back into action although the gui still needs refreshing to display move notation afterwards.

I am really looking forward to the new Hiarcs program, it could be the answer to my problem and allow me to delete this Windows partition as I don't fancy having to pay for OS upgrades for both Windows and Mac.

Regards,
Mickey
Michael Blake

Re: Harcs 13.2MP causing Chessbase to freeze

Post by Michael Blake »

Harvey Williamson wrote:1 workaround might be when you create uci engine select below normal priority for Hiarcs. or just wait for Chess Explorer!
I'll try both ideas!

Thx,
Mickey
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

This seems incredible odd on PC since Hiarcs 13 has been available for a long time and a lot of people use it under chessbase GUIs without issue.

I also use Hiarcs under chessbase as does Harvey and I am sure we have never seen this.

If Hiarcs is freezing you will see under task manager that Hiarcs is not responding. If you are getting the message against Chessbase then it is the Chessbase GUI which is not responding (not the Hiarcs engine).
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

Thanks Mark,
I have deleted the Hiarcs UCI and reinstalled it, this time I set it as 'below normal priority' as suggested by Harvey. Although I haven't tested it for very long that does seem to have fixed the problem for me as there have been no further program freezes since the new install.

Best Wishes,
Mickey