GUI for Mac Lion

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ColonelQue

GUI for Mac Lion

Post by ColonelQue »

Hi - I have purchased HIARCS 13.2, noting that SIGMA will not run on the MAC running Lion. My question, as a complete simpleton, is what do I use as a GUI in that case? Any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: GUI for Mac Lion

Post by Harvey Williamson »

ColonelQue wrote:Hi - I have purchased HIARCS 13.2, noting that SIGMA will not run on the MAC running Lion. My question, as a complete simpleton, is what do I use as a GUI in that case? Any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks.
There will be something new from Hiarcs.com soon. In the meantime there are some free GUI's around I am sure someone will post a link.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
ColonelQue wrote:Hi - I have purchased HIARCS 13.2, noting that SIGMA will not run on the MAC running Lion. My question, as a complete simpleton, is what do I use as a GUI in that case? Any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks.
There will be something new from Hiarcs.com soon. In the meantime there are some free GUI's around I am sure someone will post a link.
Off the top of my head (google for links):

ExaChess (probably abandonware -- haven't heard from the dev in a couple of years now)
Scid
Stockfish
Shredder (basic version costs 30 EUR, though)

And that's about it. I've moved over to Parallels + PC software for more or less everything at this point. Looking forward to Chess Explorer, though -- I'd prefer to be native on OSX, although I require the ChessBase DB format for a bunch of stuff at this point...

jb
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

I'm giving SCID a go at the moment, quite an ugly interface imho but a good database program.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

HIARCS Chess Explorer will be available in March so the Mac will have a real chess players GUI then.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

That is excellent news, thanks Mark. Are you able to say if there will be any database features included such as those in Fritz?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Michael Blake wrote:That is excellent news, thanks Mark. Are you able to say if there will be any database features included such as those in Fritz?
Information available so far is here http://www.hiarcs.com/chess-explorer.htm
More news soon....
Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

Thanks for that info, it's a little vague which suits my playing style :lol:
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

A fuller feature list will be made available over the next few weeks. We have been reluctant about exposing some of the new innovative features too early to avoid giving our competition an unnecessary advance notice of the new ideas.

Everyone who has been demo'd the new GUI has been very impressed including chess players at the club level and those who are much much stronger.

Not too long to wait now, in my view it will be worth the wait believe me.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
h.g.muller

Post by h.g.muller »

sockmonkey wrote:And that's about it.
Seems you overlooked the fabulous XBoard. :wink:

Available as pre-configured binary install for Mac from WinBoard forum

For more info, see the new on-line user guide at the GNU website.
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

h.g.muller wrote:
sockmonkey wrote:And that's about it.
Seems you overlooked the fabulous XBoard. :wink:

Available as pre-configured binary install for Mac from WinBoard forum

For more info, see the new on-line user guide at the GNU website.
Hey HGM -

No offense intended, of course. I didn't realize there was a binary for OSX -- thanks!

jb
h.g.muller

Post by h.g.muller »

One of the original authors of XBoard started working on a native OS X port of it recently. But I haven't heard from him for some time, now, so I hope he has not given up.

I really would like to have more native front-ends for XBoard. I would be very interested in having an Android version myself, now that I bought a Galaxy Gio smartphone. So perhaps I am going to do that one myself.