And how do we begin to covet, Clarice?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

And how do we begin to covet, Clarice?

Post by Reinfeld »

I have taken the first step in the corruption of an innocent acolyte, a chess-playing friend with a fine mind and retro taste.

Some days hence - never mind how many - my friend will receive an unexpected package. His mortal enemy lurks within:

http://tinyurl.com/88gnatz

Excellence. 20 bucks on a buy-it-now. Limited description, but seller had good feedback numbers. I'd been scouting for one.

My friend has no dedicated machines. He's normal. He plays chess on the side, including online correspondence. He started pretty weak, but he's getting better (somewhere in 1100-1200 range, but when aroused, an observant finisher.) He has some good books. He has chess software. He likes bookshelf board games.

Excellence hits the just-right zone. Crude, but tough enough to piss you off. It was my first* machine, purchased three decades ago. Even now, it crushes me when I screw around. Once, long ago, I beat it to death in a fit of rage and messed up the power switch. I took it apart and repaired it, begging forgiveness. A scar of love. Happy Holidays.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells