Mephisto: Polgar = Academy ?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IvenGO

Mephisto: Polgar = Academy ?

Post by IvenGO »

Hello!

So the question is: are the any differences in playing style, tactical strength, library, etc. Also about size of chess figures of it and Exclusive board - is it the same?

According to size of programs (MM IV-V = 32, Academy = 48, Polgar = 64) for me its not easy to understand who is who (twin/younger-older brother or not relative)...

Thanks in advance!
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
yes there are huge differences. The Polgar goes more into the direction of the MM V ... more tactical chess ... the academy is a little bit more strategic, like the MM IV ... I like the style of the Polgar much more ...

Regards,
Sascha
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Mephisto: Polgar = Academy ?

Post by Steve B »

IvenGO wrote:Hello!

So the question is: are the any differences in playing style, tactical strength, library, etc. Also about size of chess figures of it and Exclusive board - is it the same?

According to size of programs (MM IV-V = 32, Academy = 48, Polgar = 64) for me its not easy to understand who is who (twin/younger-older brother or not relative)...

Thanks in advance!
The Academy board and pieces are smaller then the Exclusive board
i guess its about the same size as the Mephisto Modular board
as to program strength..
Selective Search shows a rating of 1944 for The Academy and 1962 for the Polgar 5Mhz(Polgar 10 Mhz is rated 2034)
the Academy was built to take add-in modules but i have never seen any module for it other then the normal Academy module Also the Academy has a larger book then Polgar

more info on each of these computers on the Wiki:

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... sto_Polgar

http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... to_Academy

even though both were released in 1989 and have the same programmer ..from a collecting stand point ..between the differences in the housing ,book and strength..etc etc ..personally ..i dont consider these two computers to be all that similar

Close but no Cigar Regards
Steve
IanO

Post by IanO »

IvenGO wrote:Hello!

Thanks in advance!
According to the Schachcomputer wiki, the board falls between the Modular and Exclusive in size:

Modular: 23.5 cm (50/60 mm king)

Academy: 26.5 cm

Exclusive: 32 cm (69 mm king)

See also the Knight's parade for piece size comparison (the Monte Carlo had similar pieces).

I think the Schröder program lineage is Rebell 5.0 -> MM IV -> Academy -> MM V -> Polgar/Milano -> (Risc) -> Nigel Short. Although similar to the MM IV in playing style, the Academy has the more elegant 8-button UI of the Polgar. The Nigel Short is the Polgar enhanced with some lessons learned developing the world-champion ARM programs. Since Ed is himself an active computer chess historian, perhaps you should ask him to expand his dedicated chess program history on his web site.

(I myself want to own one of Schröder's later computers, the pinnacle of 6502 engine development. Sadly, they are rare on this side of the Atlantic.)
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

Aha, so Academy could be claimed as enchanced MM-IV + HG-440 single-box release?

And whats about BT-2450 test results? Why Polgar has 150 points lower than Academy if it plays more tactical way? Or there were some mistakes in testing procedure?
ed

Post by ed »

IanO wrote: I think the Schröder program lineage is Rebell 5.0 -> MM IV -> Academy -> MM V -> Polgar/Milano -> (Risc) -> Nigel Short. Although similar to the MM IV in playing style, the Academy has the more elegant 8-button UI of the Polgar. The Nigel Short is the Polgar enhanced with some lessons learned developing the world-champion ARM programs. Since Ed is himself an active computer chess historian, perhaps you should ask him to expand his dedicated chess program history on his web site.
I think you have to put the Academy some place else, after the Polgar, of that I am practically convinced although it's a long time ago.
(I myself want to own one of Schröder's later computers, the pinnacle of 6502 engine development. Sadly, they are rare on this side of the Atlantic.)
That must be the Nigel Short as it contained important code snips from the Mephisto Risc. And indeed the Nigel Short is hard to get since it was mentioned for the UK market only, a last desperate try of Hegener & Glaser to escape from bankruptcy. Very few were sold as a result.