8-core machine sought for quick test

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
h.g.muller

8-core machine sought for quick test

Post by h.g.muller »

Is there someone that is willing to test the new WinBoard concurrent tournament manager function? I want to know if I have sufficiently protected the file access with locks to prevent data corruption when a large number of WinBoard instances are all trying to save their games on the same PGN file. A good test would be to play a tournament with 8 WinBoard instances running single-CPU no-ponder games (so each game uses only a single CPU), or perhaps even 16 games with hyper-threading. Preferably bullet games, to maximize the data traffic to the PGN file. (But I only have a dual...)

The experimental WinBoard version that does this can be downloaded at http://hgm.nubati.net/WinBoard-TM.zip . This contains a bare winboard.exe, meant to replace the winboard.exe in a the WinBoard 4.5.2 install.

Engines can be installed through the Load Engine dialog:

After that the torunament can be set up through the Option -> Tournament dialog:

After you set up the tourney with one WinBoard, specifying a tournament file xxx.trn, 'helper' WinBoards can be most easily started through the startup dialog, typing "-mm -tf xxx.trn" in the 'Additional options' field.