Hard Materialism test position for dedicated computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
RadioSmall

Hard Materialism test position for dedicated computers

Post by RadioSmall »

In this position:
[fen]rn3rk1/pb3pp1/1p2p2p/2p1N3/3P4/P2BP1Rq/1P3P1P/2RQK3[/fen]
Our dedicated friends have a hard time finding out that 1...Qxh2 loses easily to 2.Qg4 g5 3.Rh3 Qg2 4.Qh5!! and white attack is killing.I have been running Novag sapphire now for over 30 hours on this position and it still wants to play 1...Qxh2 at ply 13 .Anybody care to test this on their favorite model??
Larry

Post by Larry »

Hi, 2mb RISC2500 starts looking at Qxh2 but within around 10 seconds
switches to Qh4 and stays there, at least for the couple of minutes I
ran it.
LH
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

Larry wrote:Hi, 2mb RISC2500 starts looking at Qxh2 but within around 10 seconds
switches to Qh4 and stays there, at least for the couple of minutes I
ran it.
LH
Very interesting as I am approaching 72 Hours with Novag Sapphire and still it wants to take the pawn!! The RISC 2500 is a monster of a Computer though...........
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I tested the position with some of my PDA engines and saw that the engines could not make up their mind in the early stages, so first they want to take then switched to Qh4 then back to Qxh2 then realize the danger and settle on Qh4.So I would like to see Larry test the RISC 2500 for a bit longer to see what it settles on after 5 minutes.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I test this position with the mephisto polgar i did it adjusting time per move at 5 min. When the clock hits the 2 min it start thinking about Qh4 for some seconds but then goes back to Qh2 and plays it at the 5 min clock.
Then i decided to make a second test this time at 15 min per move and i found the following:
first 5 min same thing and when the clock hits the 6 min it starts thinking again Qh4 and plays it at 12 min and 41 seconds.
I move the selective search/brute force parameter of the pogar and in a second try it founded at 11 min and 31 sec.
RadioSmall

Re: Hard Materialism test position for dedicated computers

Post by RadioSmall »

RadioSmall wrote:In this position:
[fen]rn3rk1/pb3pp1/1p2p2p/2p1N3/3P4/P2BP1Rq/1P3P1P/2RQK3[/fen]
Our dedicated friends have a hard time finding out that 1...Qxh2 loses easily to 2.Qg4 g5 3.Rh3 Qg2 4.Qh5!! and white attack is killing.I have been running Novag sapphire now for over 30 hours on this position and it still wants to play 1...Qxh2 at ply 13 .Anybody care to test this on their favorite model??
Hard to believe but finally Novag Sapphire selects the correct 1....Qh4 after nearly 8 days (192 hours !!) of computations (also at ply 13) .So finally today I unplugged the machine after seeing the correct move on the screen!!
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Yeah,
it is hard to believe mostly when the novag sapphire has more than 140 elo points above the mephisto polgar. 12 min and 41 sec to find and play Qh4 against 192 hours of the sapphire is a very big difference. This dedicated chess machines allways have surprises.
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

ricard60 wrote:Yeah,
it is hard to believe mostly when the novag sapphire has more than 140 elo points above the mephisto polgar. 12 min and 41 sec to find and play Qh4 against 192 hours of the sapphire is a very big difference. This dedicated chess machines allways have surprises.
Hi
Could you if possible tell me that at what ply , mephisto polgar finds this ?? Of course the sapphire is stronger than the polgar , and there are many positions in which the sapphire will beat the mephisto polgar in terms of solving time. In Chess however it is possible always to find some position in which the weaker program does better.