amazing polgar performance

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

The above standings comes from the first online spanish tournament, the polgar wich was rated by that time with 1979 won this tournament over stronger machines like the star diamond, sapphire,sapphire II,senator and diamond among others getting an amazing 2499 elo performance for that tournament (TPR).

you can see all the games in this link:
http://www.meca-web.es/torneos/internet1.htm

in that link you can also download a 60 page bulleting where all the games are analyzed by one person of this forum. I hope you enjoy it

ricardo
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

I have just seen my newly arrived Polgar beaten 6 times in a row by the Montreal 68000.

These machines are supposedly the same rating but it seems the style and faster hardware of the Lang program is too much for the Polgar so far...
aka oudheusa on rybka forum
Peter Grayson

Re: amazing polgar performance

Post by Peter Grayson »

ricard60 wrote: The above standings comes from the first online spanish tournament, the polgar wich was rated by that time with 1979 won this tournament over stronger machines like the star diamond, sapphire,sapphire II,senator and diamond among others getting an amazing 2499 elo performance for that tournament (TPR).

you can see all the games in this link:
http://www.meca-web.es/torneos/internet1.htm

in that link you can also download a 60 page bulleting where all the games are analyzed by one person of this forum. I hope you enjoy it

ricardo
An incredible and perhaps surprising performance but it does show how these limited game tournaments can skew true performance capability that I recall lead to much disappointment in the days when the dedicated machines' suppliers relied on these as selling points but rarely achieved the level of their tournament or manufacturer's claimed ratings.

PeterG
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

I believe that default settings of the polgar are not the stronger ones. If the brute force/selective search parameter is moved you can get better results. This tournament was won with that parameter moved. It is also known that there were two software versions of the polgar at 5 Mhz the 1.1 and the 1.5. The 1.5 is stronger. In this tournament the 1.5 version was used.
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

Do you know which settings where used?

And how to check the version number?

I noticed the polgar performs better at longer tc. At 30 secs/move it plays significantly stronger. Probably has to do with relative slow processor.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Hi CatPower,
I do not know wich settings where used.
There are 2 ways to find out wich version you have:

a) open your polgar module and see the sticker that is over the eprom
b) press at the same time the keys mem+info and then the info key and you will see the version you have.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Interestingly...
My Polgar 5 is version 1.5 but...
My Polgar 10 Indicates version ..10.0??

Hmmm Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Steve,
As far i could found out about the polgar there were 3 software versions. The 1.1 and the 1.5 both for the 5 Mhz model and the 10 version for the 10 Mhz model. I have the 1.1 version running on the 5 Mhz model.

polgar versions regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:Steve,
As far i could found out about the polgar there were 3 software versions. The 1.1 and the 1.5 both for the 5 Mhz model and the 10 version for the 10 Mhz model. I have the 1.1 version running on the 5 Mhz model.

polgar versions regards
Ricardo
OK thanks Ricardo

there are 3 Polgar Sisters so it makes some sense for there to be three Polgar software versions
:P

Susan Sends Her Regards
Steve
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

polgar versions regards
Ricardo
Well then I have a collectors item; version 1.4 5Mhz

Collectors Regards
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

CatPower wrote:

polgar versions regards
Ricardo
Well then I have a collectors item; version 1.4 5Mhz

Collectors Regards
are you telling me there is a fourth Polgar Sister??

:shock:

actually now that i think about it
we could have a tournament just with the different Polgar versions

Judit sends her regards

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N ... 922171154/

Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

That is right Catpower i believe you have a collectors item. I have heard about a 1.4 version but never in a forum that i read have known about it. So i could not write anything about this version but finally it is true. Yes it wil be interesting to have a tournament between this 4 versions.

2011 polgar tournament regards
Ricardo
CatPower

Post by CatPower »

ricard60 wrote:That is right Catpower i believe you have a collectors item. I have heard about a 1.4 version but never in a forum that i read have known about it. So i could not write anything about this version but finally it is true. Yes it wil be interesting to have a tournament between this 4 versions.

2011 polgar tournament regards
Ricardo
i'm in!

i would also be interested in trying out some different selective settings. i doubt the difference between version numbers is noticeable.

suspecting there might be versions 1.2 and 1.3 regards.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Yeah who knows?, now that we know there is a 1.4 version maybe there is a 1.2 or 1.3 or maybe both. To test the settings try to play against the montral 68000 again with different selective settings, lets say 4 or 6 games at one settings and then the same amount of games at another setting but use the same time controls. Polgar tends to play better at 30sec/move than 5sec/move or 10sec/move.

best regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Recently my Polgar 5 went on the Fritz(no pun intended)
thankfully i was able to have it repaired and just received it back today
it is important to use a Mephisto "S" board if you want to use the Polgar 5 and 10 in the same board

anyway...in order to test the freshly repaired Polgar 5 i played this quick 5 min Blitz game against it taking the white pieces

[Date "2011.8.18"]
[White "Steve B"]
[Black "MEPHISTO Polgar 5"]
[Time Control "5 Min.Blitz-"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.e3 Be7 5.Nc3 O-O 6.Bd3 c5 7.O-O cxd4 8.Nxd4
e5 9.Nb3 Bg4 10.Be2 dxc4 11.Bxg4 Nxg4 12.Nd2 Qc8 13.Qe2 Rd8 14.Qxc4 Nc6
15.Nf3 Nb4 16.Qxc8 Raxc8 17.h3 e4 18.hxg4 exf3 19.gxf3 Nd3 20.Rb1 Bf6
21.Ne4 Be5 22.b3 Rc2 23.f4 Bc7 24.a4 Rc8 25.Rd1 Rd8 26.Rf1 Rc8 27.Rd1
Rd8 28.Rf1 1/2-1/2

FINAL POSITION

[fen]3r2k1/ppb2ppp/8/8/P3NPP1/1P1nP3/2r2P2/1RB2RK1 w - - 0 28[/fen]

DRAW by 3 fold Repetition

I am up a pawn but whom am i to refuse a draw against an opponent rated in the high 1900's ?

i am of course happy to draw .,but on the other hand.. i wonder if the computer is really fixed since it allowed a wood pusher such as myself off easy with a draw?

Mixed Emotions Regards
Steve