Computer Will Not Power UP

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

yeah but in my part of Bangalore we have been having weird power supply issues last month, one of the circuits tripped a month ago but it didnt trip yesterday.. dunno if anything is fried in the computer though, hope not coz my Mac is fine :)
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

well even so...

A ups is supposed to handle sags and clamp surges. As good as the power supply is (in my neck of the woods) I have never had a computer that wasn't powered off a UPS (16 yrs now) because there are the occasional sags/surges/loss of power.

If it was the home circuit you mean tripping... should have been np for the ups irrespective of what the circuit breaker did. The only "negative" I have seen with a ups is that it outputs a "square wave" or "modified square wave". How that stresses the comps power supply I don't know, but no way I would run w/o a ups. True sine wave output UPS's are very expensive btw... as much as I would prefer to have my comps using one of those, I can't justify the price when the p.s. outputs everything to d.c. and the (my PC Power & Cooling) power supplies have a 5 year warranty.

With a good UPS you should be getting good protection.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

yeah its an APC and i think they are one of the market leaders... thanks for all the help, now its just waiting it out for 3 more hours :)
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

APC is the only brand I have ever owned btw... I've have no complaints with their product.

Let us know how it goes.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

the computer co can only send someone over on Monday :evil:

so 48 hours and no Quad

if anything happened to my Mac the Knife though.....
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

using my single core has renewed my respect for Fruit 2.3.1
PortCitySlim

Post by PortCitySlim »

Dark Horse wrote:
any chance that the computer is beyond repair ? thats what is really banging on my noggin now.. what if they cant repair it ? :shock:

For it to be beyond repair then you would have to have multiple hardware failures. More then likely this is not the case. Rob has diagnosed this problem correctly, more then likely you have an issue with your power supply. If your not computer savvy I would not try resetting your CMOS jumper until tech support has had a look at it. If tech support advises trying this step over the phone then like Rob has said it is very easy to do just by following your owners manual. If by any chance tech support does not help let us know and we might be able to help. By any chance do you know the make/model of your computer and possible your motherboard model? My bet would be that your power supply has died, this is not very un-common in store bought systems and even in built systems. Power supplies cause a lot of problems that arise in computers.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Hi,
`Fingers Crossed` if it is the power supply that has failed lets hope it did not take any of the other hardware with it.

This was the case last year when my m8 Steve had his comp power supply go and it took other stuff with it. We took Jeantech the makers of the PSU to court and won the case.

Regards
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

the tech guy is coming over with a new power supply tomorrow, also my phone charger is on the blink... so something must have happened.. luckily no one got an electrical shock..
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Hopefully it was just your Power supply.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

yeah I hope I can recover my hard drive.. if that crashed.....
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

PortCitySlim wrote:
Dark Horse wrote:
any chance that the computer is beyond repair ? thats what is really banging on my noggin now.. what if they cant repair it ? :shock:

For it to be beyond repair then you would have to have multiple hardware failures. More then likely this is not the case. Rob has diagnosed this problem correctly, more then likely you have an issue with your power supply. If your not computer savvy I would not try resetting your CMOS jumper until tech support has had a look at it. If tech support advises trying this step over the phone then like Rob has said it is very easy to do just by following your owners manual. If by any chance tech support does not help let us know and we might be able to help. By any chance do you know the make/model of your computer and possible your motherboard model? My bet would be that your power supply has died, this is not very un-common in store bought systems and even in built systems. Power supplies cause a lot of problems that arise in computers.
i agree that power supplies are crap on just about every out of the box computer you can buy.they never expect there comps to be run24/7 flat out. Dark Horse would be well advised to slip the guy a few dollars to upgrade it.i bought the best i coud a Silverstone 1200W,now i am not suggesting this for Dark Horse,but i have a quad as well which i never use, i keep meaning to rip the power supply out,but never seem to get round to it.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

interesting, if they do have better power supply units I will definitely upgrade :D
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

Dark Horse wrote:interesting, if they do have better power supply units I will definitely upgrade :D
i will give you an example,many years ago i used to repair cassete recorders.one guy came back every 3 months with the heads worn out,with normal use this was impossible.the shop manager asked how he was using it and discovered he was a restaurant owner who was using it for background musak 16 hrs per day.he explained to the guy this was professional use and not covered by the guarantee.the same applies to your computer use.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

true, the only thing I used my Quad for was chess