Computer Will Not Power UP

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

I've blown my Quad, the damn thing is not turning on, monitor works, but the main CPU does not come on

I hope I can get it repaired fast :evil:
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

yeh,i saw your post on Rybka forum.any reasons why it went bust.there are plenty guys on rybka forum who will try and help.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

I dunno, I came back home from work and it was off, I thought maybe there was a power outtage when I was not at home but it wont come on, I hope I can get the company to send someone over on a Saturday :cry:
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

Dark Horse wrote:I've blown my Quad, the damn thing is not turning on, monitor works, but the main CPU does not come on
Have you tried resetting the bios?

Actually, before I did that, I would make sure the power supply switch wasn't flipped to off.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

I double checked that the power switch was flipped on behind, how do i reset the bios ?
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

ok i read the wiki how and it seems that flat round battery is inside the cabinet, i think i might be better off waiting for the dude to come around as if i open it my self it might negate my warranty ?
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

Three ways that I know of:

First recommendation would be finding your motherboard manual... if you don't have, go to the manf. website and download the .pdf.

1) there is a very small push-button switch.
2) Moving a jumper
3) Removing the CMOS battery.

I can do any of those on my octa and always start with the first unless I know I have to use method 2.

Btw I am going to split off this thread so don't panic... will rename to "Computer Will Not Start" or something to that effect.
NATIONAL12

Post by NATIONAL12 »

Watchman wrote:Three ways that I know of:

First recommendation would be finding your motherboard manual... if you don't have, go to the manf. website and download the .pdf.

1) there is a very small push-button switch.
2) Moving a jumper
3) Removing the CMOS battery.

I can do any of those on my octa and always start with the first unless I know I have to use method 2.

Btw I am going to split off this thread so don't panic... will rename to "Computer Will Not Start" or something to that effect.

it is good to have great guys like yourself around.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

It shouldn't negate the warranty... in fact tech support my have you try if you don't have any concerns about doing that.

I would try to track down the manual first.

Edit: Thanks Nat... that is much appreciated.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Dark Horse wrote:I've blown my Quad, the damn thing is not turning on, monitor works, but the main CPU does not come on

I hope I can get it repaired fast :evil:
If the fans are not running, it's probably the power supply. Easy to fix.
Most new (average) computers come with a power supply that just has the minimum capability to power the system.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

Jeb has a good point... and to that point...

Make sure you do have power to the power supply... if it is on a power strip with a reset switch or a socket with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) that might need to be reset.

Just make sure you do have power to the P.S. and see if it's fan spins up when powering on... any other info as to what happens will be useful.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

nothing powers up at all, 6 AM here, so hopefully in a few hours I can call the shop (nothing opens before 10 AM here and Saturdays are lasy heh)

I'm a real clutz with a screw driver and if I wake my husband for this there will be a Quad flying out of the window heh!

I just hope nothing is damaged! :?
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

I took it downstairs and connected it up there, still nothing so it was not the power outlet as my Mac is connected to the same UPS

I am curious to open it and try the stuff you guys mentioned but given my skill with a screw driver...hmmm maybe a 6 hour wait is not too bad
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

Well...

If that power supply fan doesn't spool up (or any other fans for that matter... and no light(s) at the front power switch.

I'd say power supply but to know for sure, you would need a multi-meter/volt meter, pull the main (24-pin) connector and check for voltage.
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

ok the last time i took anything metal to a power outlet was when i was 8 an d i stuck my grandma's needles in and got a shock,

been trying to pas the hair style off as a fad but it still hasnt caught on

j/k

thanks for the tips guys.. but the question that really on my mind,

any chance that the computer is beyond repair ? thats what is really banging on my noggin now.. what if they cant repair it ? :shock: