list of our chess computers , let's share it

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Ja_Chess

Post by Ja_Chess »

My chess computer collection

1. Saitek Sensor Chess
2. Saitek Simultano
3. Saitek GK2100
4. Novag Diamond II
5. Mephisto Modena
6. Mephisto Chess Challenger
7. Mephsito Master
8. Millenium Genius Pro

I bought the Novag Diamond ii back in 98. Really didn't like the computer, didn't like the way it would show you what it was thinking in the display with no option to switch that off. Also found that the Diamond II had a habit of repeating the same opening moves exactly the same 'very predictable' play. Sold the computer to a friend in the US for £50 about 7 years ago and now they sell for about £400 on Ebay!
Dave C

Collection

Post by Dave C »

Ja-chess - nice collection. Which of your chess computers do you play against the most? Have you tried playing one chess computer against another?

Curious...regards,
Dave
Ja_Chess

Re: Collection

Post by Ja_Chess »

Dave C wrote:Ja-chess - nice collection. Which of your chess computers do you play against the most? Have you tried playing one chess computer against another?

Curious...regards,
Dave
Hi Dave, thanks. I sold the Novag Diamond II and Saitek Simultano but still own the rest. I bought most of them as a collector. I like the Mephisto chess computers most and bought them for the future as I doubt these machines will be made in future down to the chess online and engines etc. I will play them when I get round to it. I play chess online on chess.com. I have played chess computers against eachother. I played the simultano against the GK2100 and the GK2100 won and played the GK2100 against the Diamond II which was a good game and the Diamond II won that one but only just. I personally don't think the Diamond II was quite as strong as the manufacturer thought or what schah' or spacious mind estimate it's strength to be, I felt that the Diamond II was playing around the BCF 190 strength? I am sure that the Millenium genius pro would wipe the floor with the Novag Diamond II no problem at all.

I have read a couple of threads on here concerning chess computers playing against eachother and it has been an interesting read.

The Mephisto chess challenger I bought is a clone of the GK2100 I believe? so don't think I'll bother playing those against eachother.

Have you played some chess computers against eachother?
kgvetter

Collection

Post by kgvetter »

Hi everyone,

here is a list of my current chess-computers and accessories:

1. Fidelity SC9
2. Fidelity Avantgarde #6 in a AS housing
3. Fidelity Elite Privat with a custom-made board (as the original board was missing)
4. Mephisto München with Vancouver 32 bit modules and OLED-display by Ruud Martin
5. Mephisto ESB with Mephisto 1, 2 and 3 Modules
6. Mephisto academy in like new condition
7. Mephisto Milano pro
8. Mephisto Modena
9. La Regence with french lettering, probably on of two existing of this beautiful machine...
10. accessories: Fidelity thermal printer (woodie), Fidelity multi-book cartrdige containing all Fidelty books in one little cartrige, printer adapter to connect Fidelity-machines to a needle printer.

I used to own many more machines, but reduced them to the ones I want to play with on a daily basis. I do not regret having sold a Renaissance Sparc, bulky board, ugly pieces and a unstable programme or a Mephisto Bavaria as I don't need the piece recognition.

The only sale I regret is a Fidelity Avantgarde #6 (original) which went many years ago to a well-known collector in NYC.

Gerhard
CuriousChess

Post by CuriousChess »

Interesting topic. :D

My chess computers, from oldest bought to the newest bought:

1. Fidelity Micro Chess Challenger (1998)
2. CXG Chess 2001 (1998)
3. Kasparov Travel Champion 2100 (2006)
4. CXG Super Enterprise (2014)
5. Fidelity Excellence EP12 (2014)
6. Excalibur IGOR (2014)
7. Novag Super VIP (2014)
8. Mephisto Modena (2014)
9. Novag Super Constellation (2016)
10. Square Off (2018)
11. Scisys TurboStar 432 (2018)
12. Systema Challenge (2019)
13. Novag Sapphire (2019)
14. Novag Constellation Forte (2020)
15. Kasparov Team-Mate (2020)
16. Fidelity Par Excellence (2020)
17. Saitek Turbo King (2020)
18. Mephisto Polgar (arriving soon) (2021)

This is also interesting, since I thought I had like 12 comps... lol.

And I have also thrown some away, such as Kasparov Sensor Chess, Millennium Orion 6-in-1 and Fidelity Designer 1500. Those were all more or less disappointing because of their playing strength or lack of it. But still nice machines, no regrets. Of course the first one is WEAK too, but it`s the first.
I also had Scisys SuperStar 28k, but unfortunately it had a defect.

Chess 2001 taught me to play better chess, for years.

Travel Champion 2100 was already much stronger, but haven`t played as much as I should have. It does have very nice tactical playing style.

Super Enterprise has also given me some of my best games. It is fun.

Fidelity Excellence was the first that played really positionally and therefore posing new kind of challenge. Also tactically quite sharp so nice challenge.

IGOR can be fun, but need to play more. Kind of cool toy.

Super VIP I like, has human kind of playing style. Many interesting games...

Modena is one of the stronger ones, need to also play more. I acquired it as new with whole package as it was sold in 1992 for mere 20€! With adapter!

Super Connie is legendary, and yes, offers fun adventurous playing style.
I like the sounds and all. No machine plays quite like it, for good or bad.

Square Off is cool, but only played couple games before the next one came...

Turbostar 432, I love his style. Many very exciting games. Humanlike.

Systema Challenge plays more dry and positional game. Need to test more.

Sapphire is the strongest I have at 2147. Truly strong and machine-like.

Constellation Forte is another silly-priced one. Got it together with Team-Mate for 30€! Ok without boxes, pieces or adapters but had few already lol. Nice machine and stylish playing like most novags really. Must play more soon.

Team-Mate is more for near-beginners or so, but again, for almost no cost...

Par Excellence was my dream for many years, I almost got one in 2014 but somebody paid more. I think it has exciting playing style and is fairly strong.
I played last year already one fun and very tactical game with it.

Turbo King is also definitely one of my best investments. Paid 30€... Not at the best shape outfit-wise, but what a nice machine. Heavy and fast thinker.

Mephisto Polgar will be my first Schroeder machine, been long time coming.

Been a reader for years, but was busy of playing chess with the comps.

:)
Chess has life of it`s own.
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Hello CuriousChess,
nice collection, thanks for introducing it!
Good to read the opinion you have about your chess computers.
Have fun with your soon to come Polgar!
Cheers,
Tibono
paulwise3

Re: Collection

Post by paulwise3 »

kgvetter wrote:I do not regret having sold a Renaissance Sparc, bulky board, ugly pieces and a unstable programme
Hi Gerhard,

About the bulky board: true, but then the München seems also bulky to me ;-).
But I agree that the pieces do not match with the board. I had the luck to buy a cheap Galileo, which was accompanied by the nice München pieces. So now I use those pieces when playing with my Renaissance & modules :-D.

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

CuriousChess wrote:Systema Challenge plays more dry and positional game. Need to test more.
Hi CuriousChess,
I also have the Systema Challenge (and a number of it's clones ;-)).
At the standard playing style it plays often rather passive, but positional good.
You should change all 7 programmable evaluation criteria from 10 to 20, then it plays a much more active game. It's rating is around 1750-1800 FIDE elo, but it can still give 100-150 elo-points stronger machines a hard time, as long as not too much tactics are involved.

Have fun regards,
Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
CuriousChess

Post by CuriousChess »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi CuriousChess,
I also have the Systema Challenge (and a number of it's clones ;-)).
At the standard playing style it plays often rather passive, but positional good.
You should change all 7 programmable evaluation criteria from 10 to 20, then it plays a much more active game. It's rating is around 1750-1800 FIDE elo, but it can still give 100-150 elo-points stronger machines a hard time, as long as not too much tactics are involved.
Oh yes, I forgot that computer is adjustable, right. That certainly increases it`s value, and it is only Horvath machine I got. Will use your hints, thanks!
Chess has life of it`s own.
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi Paul,

maybe my judgement of the Renaissance-board was too harsh. On the positive side I have to admit that the 4 Led per sqare are a nice feature and that the München-board is as bulky, but I still prefer the 32bit display on my München (I have Ruuds Oled version) over the small screen of the Renaissance, where it is hard to recognize the letters or piece symbols.

Lately I have infinite fun with the academy, small but very nice board with a not to easy to-beat program and nice features...

Hope to see you among others in person in the not too far future...

Gerhard
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

kgvetter wrote:Hi Paul,

maybe my judgement of the Renaissance-board was too harsh. On the positive side I have to admit that the 4 Led per sqare are a nice feature and that the München-board is as bulky, but I still prefer the 32bit display on my München (I have Ruuds Oled version) over the small screen of the Renaissance, where it is hard to recognize the letters or piece symbols.

Lately I have infinite fun with the academy, small but very nice board with a not to easy to-beat program and nice features...

Hope to see you among others in person in the not too far future...

Gerhard
Hi Gerhard,

I agree that Ruud's Oled display (which I do not have) is an enrichment.
But I am still very glad with my Renaissance, have no trouble reading its display. Had the luck to get the modules Sparc, Brute Force and Analyst (6 MHz). Apart from de Rev II AE I consider it my nicest chess computer. But because of its size I use it not very often :-(
The Academy fits must better indeed!
And I should use my CXG Sphinx 40 more often...

See you soon at the tournament regards,
Paul
Ja_Chess

Post by Ja_Chess »

As I have bought some new chess computers I thought I would add my new and up to date collection of chess computers :

1. Saitek Sensor Chess
2. Saitek Simultano
3. Saitek GK2100
4. Novag Diamond II
5. Mephisto Modena
6. Mephisto Chess Challenger
7. Mephsito Master
8. Millenium Genius Pro

recently bought on ebay :

9. Saitek Team Mate
10. Excalibur Chess Wizard
11. Krypton Systema Challenger
12. Saitek Executive
13. Radioshack 2150L
14. Saitek Conquistador

For collection purposes only. I currently play the Mephisto Modena and Mephisto Chess Challenger as they suit my needs at the moment and I now prefer playing these machines to playing humans online! There are many benefits I enjoy playing the machines (no internet going down and losing a game because of it, the machine doesn't cheat, no mouse slips etc). My game has really improved since switching from online chess to playing versus my chess computers.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Ja_Chess wrote: I now prefer playing these machines to playing humans online! There are many benefits I enjoy playing the machines (no internet going down and losing a game because of it, the machine doesn't cheat, no mouse slips etc). My game has really improved since switching from online chess to playing versus my chess computers.
i agree with your comments completely
especially the cheating
even when i play unrated 2 min blitz games ..about 2/3 of the games i play i get cheated by players using engines

Cheat Happens Regards
Steve
Ja_Chess

Post by Ja_Chess »

Steve B wrote:
Ja_Chess wrote: I now prefer playing these machines to playing humans online! There are many benefits I enjoy playing the machines (no internet going down and losing a game because of it, the machine doesn't cheat, no mouse slips etc). My game has really improved since switching from online chess to playing versus my chess computers.
i agree with your comments completely
especially the cheating
even when i play unrated 2 min blitz games ..about 2/3 of the games i play i get cheated by players using engines

Cheat Happens Regards

Hi Steve
I also find the computers tougher to beat and more of a challenge as you have to outplay them as they just don't make the type of silly blunders that human players tend to make, they occassionally make weak moves but no real giveaway's. I know the computers don't resign when they are down alot of material, so I use my best and most honest judgement and resign on the computers behalf if I have managed to win alot of material (more than 7 points worth). I also use the takeback function (not during the game) but to set up different openings, so to get the most out of the computer. Glad you agree with my comment about the cheating as it ruined the online experience.
Steve
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

I still like to play on lichess, I have played 1861 games at 10 + 5 so far and got only 4 times the message, that my opponent had cheated.

I don't understand how someone can cheat technically at 2 or 3min per game but maybe I am too naive...

At some point I reached 1900 but am slowly working my way down again. I am pretty sure that most of my opponents are playing honest...

Gerhard