Recommendations for an itermediate player

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Tromas1980

Recommendations for an itermediate player

Post by Tromas1980 »

Hi.

Got my first dedicated chess computer in 1992. A Mephisto of not so high rating, but o'boy was I a happy kid that Christmas!

Now, many years later and after having played in clubs and online, I wanted to go back to dedicated chess computers. My playing strength is about 1700-1800 Norwegian Elo.

So far these computers are underway in the mail:

Novag Agate plus (meant for my kids when they are little older)
Mephisto Europa A
Mephisto Challenger
Mephisto Mystery
Mephisto Cougar

I will use my computers to study and to play tournaments (me and the computers in a round Robin).
I want to buy at least two or three more.
Anyone has a recommendation for what I should go for?
What will fill the rating gaps and play style gap between the computers I already have ordered?
Not weaker than Europa A I guess.

Many thanks,
Trond
Tibono2

Re: Recommendations for an itermediate player

Post by Tibono2 »

Hi Trond,

welcome in this forum :)
Novag Agathe put apart, these are all chess computers running a Franz Morsch program (author of the early Fritz series).
The Europa A is a bit weaker (16K program), the three others (32K) should display similarities as far as the playing style is concerned.
Therefore I suggest you should look for variety for the few next ones you plan to purchase.

I would highly recommend a Kaplan one (such as Saitek Turbo King/Turbo King 2, RadioShack Chess Champion 2150, Saitek Prisma...) ; a stronger Kittinger one (32K such as Novag Super Nova, Emerald...) and a Schröder one as well (such as a Mephisto Milano or the modul form factor such as MMIV, MMV, Polgar...). Also for variety (not so for playing style), a Spracklen coud join the team (Fidelity Excellence...)

Hope this helps,
Eric
Erik Stillum

Post by Erik Stillum »

Nice to see another Norwegian on this forum :D
Erik
Tromas1980

Post by Tromas1980 »

Tibono2 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:16 pm Hi Trond,

I would highly recommend a Kaplan one (such as Saitek Turbo King/Turbo King 2, RadioShack Chess Champion 2150, Saitek Prisma...) ; a stronger Kittinger one (32K such as Novag Super Nova, Emerald...) and a Schröder one as well (such as a Mephisto Milano or the modul form factor such as MMIV, MMV, Polgar...). Also for variety (not so for playing style), a Spracklen coud join the team (Fidelity Excellence...)

Hope this helps,
Eric
Thanks!
Exactly what I was looking for.
I might be able to buy a Saitek Turbo king soon locally.
Fidelity Excellence looks nice, maybe the Par edition (6083) is the best choice when paired against the other computers?

Trond
Tromas1980

Post by Tromas1980 »

Erik Stillum wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:55 pm Nice to see another Norwegian on this forum :D
Erik
Hi!
Yes, we are everywhere! :D
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Tromas1980 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:25 pm Fidelity Excellence looks nice, maybe the Par edition (6083) is the best choice when paired against the other computers?

Trond
Hi,
You are right Trond, the Par Ex is stronger paired against other computers. Faster clock, opening book focused on efficiency (at the cost of less variety).
But I also remember reading an experienced expert's opinion shared here.
Best,
Eric
Tromas1980

Post by Tromas1980 »

Little update.
I couldnt resist the low price for a Saitek Executive ($15 including shipping) from a Norwegian site. I know, yet another Morsch.
These computers are now in my house:

Novag Agate plus (maybe this enda up in a different pool if I buy some more weaker computers).
Mephisto Europa A
Saitek Executive
Mephisto Challenger
Mephisto Mystery
Saitek Cougar

Underway:
Mephisto Milano

Fidelity Designer 2100 is a computer that I think will fit in nicely between the Challenger and the Mystery, so its on my wishlist.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Trond,

The Challenger, Mystery and Cougar run all the same Morsch program (Saitek GK 2100), but at different speed.
The Executive should be a clone of the Saitek GK 2000.
Apart from Agate plus and Europa A you make it hard for yourself against those computers, given your own rating.

1500 Novag Agate plus
1726 Mephisto Europa A
1965 Saitek Executive
2018 Mephisto Challenger
2052 Mephisto Mystery
2055 Saitek Cougar
Underway:
2006 Mephisto Milano

So if I were you I would try to get some computers in the range of 1650 to 1900.
A good help for that is the wiki-elo-liste (https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... -Elo-Liste)

Looking at computers that might be available and affordable I would advise some of these:

1660 CXG Super Enterprise (despite it's rating still a tough opponent)
1688/1762 Novag Constellation 2 MHz/3.6 MHz
1732/1763 Novag Primo / Novag Beluga
1732 Mephisto Mondial (also a Morsch...)
1774 Mephisto Mondial II (also a Morsch...)
1768 Saitek Prisma (Kaplan)
1750 RadioShack Chess Champion 2150 (Kaplan)
1776 RadioShack Chess Champion 2150L (Kaplan)
1798 Fidelity Excellence and/or EP12 (from 3 MHz to 6 MHz)
1832 Excalibur Igor / Ivan (watch out, NOT the Igor 2!)
1836 Saitek Simultano (Kaplan)
1879 Mephisto Super Mondial (also a Morsch...)
1941 Mephisto Super Mondial II (not a Morsch, but a Schröder!)
And not to forget one of the computers with the Horvath program, such as CXG Sphinx Legend/Concerto or Krypton Regency/Challenge, all with a current rating of 1774. Good positional playing style.

If you can get your hands on a Mephisto Exclusive board, you also have possibilities for modules like MM II (1815), Rebell 5.0 (1864), Polgar (1969) etc.

Good luck with collecting!

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Tromas1980

Post by Tromas1980 »

Very nice list Paul, thanks!
Maybe most of the computers I have bought are too strong for me at 30 sec/move.
If they are, I can cut down on their time.

I have my eyes on a Saitek Turbo King + an Ivan 12Mhz.
I also want a Fidelity Excellence, but its so many variations of them.
I have bid on some Meåphisto modulars (with board), but they have been to pricey at the end.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

HI Trond,

The Ivan 12 MHz would be a nice one, same program as the Igor. Tribute to our pioneer Ron Nelson :-)

Paul.
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
anonanist

Post by anonanist »

What about a Saitek President: a clean-lined smaller wooden autosensory board around 1900 ELO.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Indeed a very nice board. But it has the same program as the Mephisto Challenger. Only difference is that the President has a larger opening library, and it does not have the H8-bug. But it also does not have the training games for practicing and testing your elo-strength.
So it also depends on what you want to use it for.
anonanist

Post by anonanist »

paulwise3 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:17 am Indeed a very nice board. But it has the same program as the Mephisto Challenger. Only difference is that the President has a larger opening library, and it does not have the H8-bug. But it also does not have the training games for practicing and testing your elo-strength.
So it also depends on what you want to use it for.
I'm a patzer, so I'm all about aesthetics! The training games sound like a cool feature though.
IpswichMatt

Post by IpswichMatt »

This may be of interest:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-wonde ... -emulators

This will enable you to try a machine before you buy it - or just play against the emulated machine (although I imagine you'd rather be playing with a physical machine). Combined with the Elo list given earlier in this thread it should be possible to play a dedicated computer at almost any playing strength.

Matt