Novag 2Robot - turning the arm off

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
anonanist

Novag 2Robot - turning the arm off

Post by anonanist »

Robotic greetings...

I'm filming a YouTube series on my dedicated chess computers and it's come time to dust off the 2Robot. I've played it sparingly and it's therefore (as yet) not succumbed to the dreaded arm error. My series concept necessitates it playing around 20 games, but only one or two of which will be filmed.

Which brings me to my question if anybody out here has this toy. The manual states you can turn the arm off by toggling the takeback key. But when I do that I just get an error message. Does anybody know if this feature actually works? I'd like to play the unfilmed games with the arm off to protect its fragile sensibilities.

I'm thinking if not I will buy a Star Beryl given I understand it's the exact same programme(?) and then just dust off the 2Robot for the filmed game(s). It'd suck if I busted it!

Mā te wā!
dedicate computers

Re: Novag 2Robot - turning the arm off

Post by dedicate computers »

Robotic greetings...

I'm filming a YouTube series on my dedicated chess computers and it's come time to dust off the 2Robot. I've played it sparingly and it's therefore (as yet) not succumbed to the dreaded arm error. My series concept necessitates it playing around 20 games, but only one or two of which will be filmed.

Which brings me to my question if anybody out here has this toy. The manual states you can turn the arm off by toggling the takeback key. But when I do that I just get an error message. Does anybody know if this feature actually works? I'd like to play the unfilmed games with the arm off to protect its fragile sensibilities.

I'm thinking if not I will buy a Star Beryl given I understand it's the exact same programme(?) and then just dust off the 2Robot for the filmed game(s). It'd suck if I busted it!

Mā te wā!
Hello
This is one of the most regrettable computers developed by Novag. But not even the trash can accept this 100% defective computer.
regards
Oswald
anonanist

Post by anonanist »

I agree it's not a great machine. But it has novelty and mine still works so its one of the exceptions to the 100% defective rate. Hence wanting to use the arm as little as possible!
mychess

Post by mychess »

Hello,

I tried with my 2robot (1/2 hour).
I can't disabled the arm, but my 2robot have a ErrArm when it catches the piece : blocked to try the "magic sequence" of keys.
I hope the arm doesn't have to work properly to deactivate it.
I can play without arm with level NH8 (Ref), and use the "hint" key that change with time.
You can try again or ask Steve B ( https://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewto ... 7&start=80 , Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:39 pm ).

Cordially.
mychess

Post by mychess »

Eureka !

Clear 5 secondes, then sound key to display ROBOT * then takeback to change to ROBOT and clear again.

Cordially.
anonanist

Post by anonanist »

Thank you so much, really appreciate you taking the time to help out!
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

I've just dusted my 2Robot off and luckily it still works. I had to re-calibrate the arm so that it was able to better position the pieces and not get stuck when being too far off trying to pick a piece up. Maybe being left idle for too long is not so good, but then the more it's used I guess the more chance it will break down. No point in worrying about this though, may as well just use it.

I must say that I don't play so well against it, I find the arm too distracting!

Regards
Ray
"I'm not so sure you're on the right track now."..."Oh! I see what you mean."