Mephisto Montreux

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Mephisto Montreux

Post by Larry »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/314876743552?
Display not working, and the seller didn’t say you can play a game against it, even though
a couple of coordinate lights are showing. I think you will find the display chips are in series
with the rest of the main board. If replacement chips can’t be found and programmed the
Montreux will forever be a manual chess board. The seller quoted $286 for shipping…maybe
a typo on his part? If you are interested you might ask the seller to clear the memory with
the “CL” button on the bottom.
Buyer beware regards…
Larry
Larry

Re: Mephisto Montreux

Post by Larry »

Sold for US$1650. Was it anyone here?
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:11 am Sold for US$1650. Was it anyone here?
L
Looks like the auction ended but im not seeing where its showing that it actually sold?
Squinting Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Yep, click on it and scroll down a bit. It does say ‘sold’.
IMO it was not worth that much even if it had been working.
Someone may have figured the defect was just a time related issue, that
we see so often with old electronic gear. I wish the new owner good luck.
The game is visually in excellent condition.
L
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

OK

Odd ...earlier when i clicked on your link for the auction it did not show the SOLD banner...only a message that the auction ended

Strange Regards
Steve
lackluster

Post by lackluster »

Hello. This was me. Well, specifically, it was gifted to me, in the condition it was sold. This is my first post here and I don't know what the initiations are, if any. I've been actively reading this forum for awhile and have been collecting chess computers.

This Montreux, of course, is one that I have had my eyes on for a while. I was told by the person that got it for me that the price was well under what it listed as, but I did not want to delve further as to not seem offensive. I was able to find a matching power supply since the unit did not come with one (the seller must have mistaken the location of the power brick), so it took some time before I could finally power it on.

Top left LED lights up when the "Go" button is pressed and the bottom row of lights turn on in sequential fashion from right to left. The display itself seems dead. At least, I can't get it to work. On the research I have done, I might have an issue with the two GAL chips onboard or, maybe, stuff needs to be cleaned overall internally.

Of course, any help you guys have will, definitely, make things safer on my end. The power supply I have is that brick one with the small "5.6V" sticker overlay. It's getting fairly late on my end so I'll have to call it a night. I do want to add that even if it's a dud, I love this gift. It's so cool to have a piece of history. Of course, if it actually can work, even better. If anyone can be of service, I will be grateful. I have an odd work schedule (I'm a CNC programmer that machines prototype engine components for the automotive industries), so I might not respond as quick, but I will when possible. Thank you all for the wonderful help and advice.

Any questions you have for me, I'm open to them, as well.
Murat

Post by Murat »

Welcome to the forum.
kamoj

Post by kamoj »

FYI:
It was offered for $1200.
Mephisto Montreux - Offer ebay $1200.jpg
Attachments
Mephisto Montreux - Offer ebay $1200.jpg
Mephisto Montreux - Offer ebay $1200.jpg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 4377 times
Member of the Conchess/Plymate team 1984-91
kamoj

Post by kamoj »

"Fortunately" the service manual is available at Mike Watters site (chesscomputeruk)!
Member of the Conchess/Plymate team 1984-91
lackluster

Post by lackluster »

Wow, you guys are good. I showed this to my uncle, and he was surprised. He did say that the price he purchased it from was well under the offer price. He said it was under $1,000. Yes, I was able to get the service manual and am looking through it on and off. You guys can be detectives!
lackluster

Post by lackluster »

Oh, and , thank you for the welcome to the forum. I am a greenhorn to this, so I am here to learn.
Kasparov111

Post by Kasparov111 »

That's a very nice machine you picked up, it has an amazing opening book, I played through the emulator a while back and it played some unreal openings, very entertaining and very strong program, hope you enjoy it!