Some curious programs...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Some curious programs...

Post by Fernando »

I stumbled on a place -https://dosgamer.com/games/Chess/page2.html- where with already available chess programs you can find in many sites, there are some which I have known existed and could be of interest to you... One of them, by example, is from Checoslovaquia and looks like Chris Doenninger had as part in it too.
Take a look
Fernando
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: Some curious programs...

Post by Larry »

Clicked on it and got “404 PAGE NOT FOUND”
GONeill

Post by GONeill »

Larry wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:59 pm Clicked on it and got “404 PAGE NOT FOUND”
Delete the trailing '-' character: https://dosgamer.com/games/Chess/page2.html
Larry

Post by Larry »

Ok, thanks, got it now. And thanks for a great site. In particular a program called “waxman”. It
brought back memories from about 25 years back. Look forward to tinkering with it again.
L
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Thanks Fern.
Indeed an interesting spot.
So far I tried Attax and Castle Chess as I was not aware of these. I removed Castle Chess once I discovered it is just a revamped Chess88 by Don Berg...
Cheers,
Eric
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Huuhkaja is nice looking and, interestingly, is said to adapt to its opponent thinking time (no level setting, so). From readme.txt file: '-HUUHKAJA try use same time as player.'

Max Rubin lists D Steinwender & C Donninger as authors, maybe a strong one. But not much user friendly for non-Czech-speaking ones (I nevertheless managed to use it after some trials and errors).

Regards,
Eric
mclane

Post by mclane »

Its maybe a successor of the BASIC chess program listing that was published in CSS and was by steinwender and donninger.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Tibono2

Post by Tibono2 »

Tibono2 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:45 pm Huuhkaja is nice looking and, interestingly, is said to adapt to its opponent thinking time (no level setting, so). From readme.txt file: '-HUUHKAJA try use same time as player.'
Well, this is indeed what it does - but so badly... Once the program is aware the opponent is using more time (there is an indicator displaying the minutes used as extra-time, red if the player is slower, green if the computer used more time), it expands its search for an additional ply. This can result in the program spending suddenly a very long time, such as 7 minutes for its expanded thought, whilst the opponent was only one or 2 minutes late after a dozen of slightly slower moves (I used 15s/move pace). As a result, the program is now 5 to 6 minutes late compared to the player, thus will play in a hurry during several moves, until reaching again a balanced clock. A large opportunity for blunders...and a major loss of Elo.
Fortunately, the author provided a "move now" feature (space bar hit), so you can (need to!) provide kind assistance to the program, aborting the computation each time the situation occurs. A depth indicator and a progress status enable the user decision to enforce the computer move.
My rough evaluation: high class D to low class C level, assuming this manual assistance is provided.
Best,
Eric