Playing Odesta 7,5

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Playing Odesta 7,5

Post by Fernando »

Many many many years ago, when I was around 35 years old, I had just three computers; Chess Champion Challenger, Constellation 3,6, and an Atari 800 that I used mostly for writing. Eventually, I got two chess pieces of software for the Atari, Colossus 4 -or three?- and Odesta 7. I remember a couple of times I pitted Odesta against Champion Challenger and at least once Odesta won. I do not remember my score.
Now, aged 74, finally I again put my hands in Odesta, this time version 7,5, and ran it in a Commodore emulator, Vice. It was a pleasure! The software by Mr larry Atkin offers a decent game and at level 5, after being in a superior positional and material condition, anyway it resisted enough to get me bored and we draw by repetition of moves. I assume it plays at around 1650 US Elo or something. The display is awful, though. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the game. Keep you alert or he can hit you.
BTW, I have not been capable of running Sargon III in Vice. Surely I have missed something...

Fern
Festina Lente
larryadler

Re: Playing Odesta 7,5

Post by larryadler »

Fernando,

sorry @top, but what were you writing then (or are you still writing)?

Greetings with the hum of the typewriter
larryadler
mclane

Post by mclane »

It is a horrible GuI Fernando.

The whole input output is horrible.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

larryadler wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:56 pm Fernando,

sorry @top, but what were you writing then (or are you still writing)?

Greetings with the hum of the typewriter
larryadler

I do not remember what I was writing then, probably periodical stuff, bit now I write more than ever.
Festina Lente