How many of us are there?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
DaMaBu

Re: How many of us are there?

Post by DaMaBu »

For the original posting, I was also interested not just in collectors, but all computer chess enthusiasts, even those that don't "collect" them. For example, how many of a specific chess computer typically get sold. For example, I bought my first, a Fidelity Designer 2100, in 1990, but then didn't get any more for around 10 years.
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

+1 in the UK

I have over 40 working chess computers but if I just consider tabletop models and ignore duplicates, clones and weak toys then the number drops to 18. I have tried to acquire chess computers written by a variety of programmers. So far this includes de Koning, Lang, Morsch, Morsch, Kittinger, Horvath, Kaplan, Spracklen, Nelson, Danielsen and Barnes.

I particularly like the 8KB and 16KB programs. As a retired software developer I appreciate the work done by the programmer to squeeze a very capable chess program in such a small memory. Having to omit features from the chess engine gives the chess computer its playing style.

I don’t consider myself to be a collector. I would define a collector as someone who wants one (or more) example of every chess computer; boxed, in perfect condition and with all paperwork, just for the pleasure of owning them. I like to play them.

Brian
bikemartyn

Post by bikemartyn »

I'm in the UK. I'd certainly say I have an interest in computer chess - as in dedicated chess computers. I use them to play against - as a) I want to get away from the computer b) it's nicer to play on a board.

With regard to being a collector, I guess the definition is subjective. I currently have 4 'computers'. 3 Saitek (Explorer pro, advanced trainer and Travel expert) and a King Performance. Only the KP gets used these days. I gave away a low power travel ('Plus') one and a Genius MC2 as i won every game and that's no fun.

Unfortunately neither storage space nor finance allows me to collect more. Once I raise the funds for a new laptop (as it is on its last legs) I will then get Hiarcs though, to use it with the KP 😀 maybe once the mortgage is paid off (in 22 years) I'll start collecting 🤣
red_potatoes

Post by red_potatoes »

+1 in the USA

My approach is similar to BrianM - I have about 30 dedicated machines - but the point isn't so much 'collecting' as it is playing. I sought computers from as many programmers as possible (Schroeder, Kittinger, Lang, Morsch, Nelson, Barnes, Rathsman, Kaplan, Spracklen, de Koning), most with a rating between 1700 and 2100, because I'm rated 1800-1900, and these are most enjoyable for me to play.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Mike Watters wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:27 pm
fourthirty wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:58 pm Well, here in the San Francisco Bay Area I know we have Fabrice, Aart and I. I've never spoken with anyone else locally that has an interest - which is surprising - with the concentration of tech/computer people in this area.

Regional regards,
Greg
Hi Greg

Well for the Bay Area you are missing a certain professor at Stanford, Maurice Ohayon, who has one of the largest chess computer collections in the world, perhaps the largest?

http://www.chesseval.com/BrandBoard/yeno.htm

Approaching 900 machines when he stopped updating his list in 2015. His last post here under his username "mrcdoc" was September 2021.

BTW I reckon Steve B's estimate of the number of collectors is in the right ballpark judged on what I see including the Sale & Swaps. Very much guesswork though.

All the best
Mike
Thanks for sharing this Mike. I completely forgot about Dr. Ohayon, as he hasn't posted very much lately. It was fun re-visiting his website today.
mclane wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:46 pm You should try to connect yourself with others.
Try to reach him.
A good idea Thorsten. Perhaps a 2023 goal!
Wolf1

Post by Wolf1 »

A bit late to the party but one for Canada :D
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

I’m still here in the U.K. although they said I wouldn't make Christmas. But i only have a couple of Months left 😥

Al
dbenchebra

Post by dbenchebra »

Hello all,

Happy New Year 2024!

Here in the UK, I have over 100 computer(many duplicated).
mclane

Post by mclane »

We are One community. And nobody ever leaves because we will remember him.

E.g. i do remember Don Dailey. Doing DOCH (dons chess program) . And i do remember Wolfgang Delmare (chat / check check) .
Those who have gone. Are still with us.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
kalatov

Post by kalatov »

Scally wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:52 am Hi all,

I’m still here in the U.K. although they said I wouldn't make Christmas. But i only have a couple of Months left 😥

Al
I'm sorry to hear that, from another in the UK.
Phil
Bpking

Post by Bpking »

Bpking wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:57 am I'm new here. From the US. Recently got a Millennium King Competition board. The King has long been a favorite since the days of the PS2. I plan on getting more eboards in the future. The next one will likely be an RFID type board. So I've only begun... I don't know much about the older boards that are mentioned here.
I've recently acquired a Chessnut Evo board. It's very nice and easy to use for online play.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

May I add that the word "niche" has also a Funeral meaning? I have been told that a good chunk of people here passed away -I would like to know whom- and so happens with collectors.

We are a specie in extinctions regards

Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

I am only now reading this thread :-(. I am one of the Dutch collectors. Originally I started collecting chess computers in the range 1600 - 2100 elo, because that is the range where most user tournaments in Germany and the Netherlands are played (yearly 2 in Germany, and 2 in Netherlands). At that time I considered a balanced set of about 15 - 20 computers my target. Well, you know how it goes.
And also I had a very lucky timing for the start of this hobby, because around 2014 and later on a lot of second hand computers were on the market for small prices. I have more then 140 chess computers, almost all second hand. I but bought only 2 new computers...
Anyway, I told this story before. My point is, as someone pointed out earlier, that the number of computers is not the only criterium, but the purpose you have for it. So, also considering my own original goal, even someone with only 10 - 20 computers could be a collector.
Just my thoughts of course.

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Scally wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:52 am Hi all,

Al
I hope you had a peaceful Christmas Al. You are in my thoughts.

Greg
ferribaci

Post by ferribaci »

My first chess computer was the MK I. A bad buy yes and no. It played terrible chess, but it sparked my interest in chess and chess computers. I became a member of a chess club. As a sparring partner, I was then able to afford a Leonardo with a Maestro module. It helped me progress in chess. Now that I'm retired, I have around 50 machines. In recent years, I've focussed on devices with programmers that I don't yet own. Whenever I can, I take part in tournaments in Klingenberg (Germany) or in the Netherlands and meet like-minded people there.