New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ricard60

New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

Post by ricard60 »

larryadler

Re: New Mephisto Phoenix chess computer

Post by larryadler »

I think I underestimate the age average on this forum (no offense). I thought my hobby would be limited to finding old machines, especially since when I started, poor Lexiboxes and plastic Milleniums "reigned" on the market. But Milleniums have moved on. Even DGT took an interest in the subject with its Centaur. Certabo is also an interesting option. In addition, a mass of electronic chessboards developed in the last two years.

And now this - my favorite (next to Novag) chess computer manufacturer/trademark is back. I am touched.
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
I am currently working on the complete review of the new computer. Due to the large number of new functions, the review will comprise six chapters. As soon as it is complete, I will translate it and put it online here together with the official announcement of Millennium. However, this will take a few more weeks.

All I can say at the moment: This joint project of Ruud Martin and Millennium is a perfect symbiosis of past, present and the future of computer chess.

Regards,
Sascha
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Thank you Sascha. Eagerly awaiting additional details.

Greg
Murat

Post by Murat »

Hopefully it won't be priced so high so most of us can afford it.
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
Part two (of seven) is online with the first two photos ... world wide exclusive ...

https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... stcount=50

Mid September, togehter with Part 7, I will translate everything and post it here complete. Till then, please feel free to aks here ...

Regards,
Sascha
Santito

Post by Santito »

The screen sensitivity is extremely important. I hope Millenium could solve that in a good manner. Regards
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Very interesting and happy to see the the "TASC way" is coming back !! Thank you Sascha for sharing :-)

The photos look cool ;-) The front face seems cool but in that photo the texts are not centered in the Buttons ? Seems awkward to me.

I am just hoping the connection cable between the unit and the board will be not like this crappy plastic one we have with the Millennium Exclusive and the King or Lasker. A braided cable is a must have !! Seriously. Looking at the 2nd photo I can still see that monstrositat of current cable...

Of course we can expect as programs:

- one from Johan de Koening
- most or all the retro emulations from Ruud
- maybe something new ?

I would love to see a SDK (software development kit) so that anybody can add they own chess program too !

Per Sacha's article, a tablet like unit with real wood and a decent weigh at the base seems cool. Let's hope the screen will be of good quality and with a decent density or PPI.

WiFi and USB are great and compulsory but will there be Bluetooth too ?

The CPU (quad core at 1.5Ghz) and RAM (4Gb) specs and flash (16Gb) seems decent but nothing exceptional. I would have loved to see a 2.0+Ghz CPU honestly. The flash size may be a bit too small IMHO.

Last but not least having a decent price (not yet known) is key for a success.

Keep the news rolling Sascha, we are excited to see and learn more about it :-) !

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

I was personally hoping that Ruud had produced a new Mephisto Phoenix Phantom.

Not to be regards
Bryan
TomFurga

Post by TomFurga »

Mythbuster wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:50 am I am currently working on the complete review of the new computer...
I don't know how to call it, is a review, a preview or a form of advertising? 8)
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Cheap provocation? I think everyone who knows me knows that I write fairly and honestly. And if it starts to end in provocation here again, I'm out of here ... It wasn't me who created this thread, but I still wanted to share my impressions with you. But I do not have to. I don't need to be provoked for sacrificing my free time to report about new chess computers.

Over an out … everone can read at .info … this forum is not my place anymore. Bye!
TomFurga

Post by TomFurga »

It's a shame that some people can't take critical questions and just run away.
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

TomFurga wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:25 pm It's a shame that some people can't take critical questions and just run away.
Hey TomFurga, stop using Sascha as your target, right? Your last post is quite not acceptable and not in the spirit of this forum.

I kind of agree with him that your post was a bit "punchy" and provocative ...

BTW, what are YOU bringing on the table for this Forum ?!? Sascha has nothing to prove on his side.

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

TomFurga wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:25 pm It's a shame that some people can't take critical questions and just run away.
Sacha's Posts are always welcome here

He beta tests for Millennium as well as HIARCS
While you are entitled to your opinion about advertising versus reviews you are not entitled to personally attack another member
Lets keep this about the chess

Back On Track Regards
Steve
dedicate computers

Post by dedicate computers »

Hello,

the fact is that everyone will get drunk, maybe with some bad quality projects and better ones, but one thing is for sure, after the developers discovered that chess can make some money, "n" projects will come...
best
Oswald