Chessnut Air Store

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Hilinder

Re: Chessnut Air Store

Post by Hilinder »

Hi Greg,
I am still very happy with my Chessnut Air and waiting impatient for the 55er board :D
The board works well, never had connection problems or so. The LEDs are for me no problem. So its actually my favorite between my small boards.
I wrote two emails to the support for some things to ask and got fast and friendly supplies.
I also follow the fb group and wonder about the different experiences here. For 179$ I would say its nearly a „no brainer“ to buy it.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Hilinder wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:52 pm Hi Greg,
I am still very happy with my Chessnut Air and waiting impatient for the 55er board :D
The board works well, never had connection problems or so. The LEDs are for me no problem. So its actually my favorite between my small boards.
I wrote two emails to the support for some things to ask and got fast and friendly supplies.
I also follow the fb group and wonder about the different experiences here. For 179$ I would say its nearly a „no brainer“ to buy it.
Bryan Whitby wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:42 am Hi Greg

Unfortunately I don't play with mine now as I can't get use to the LEDs being behind the pieces.

The worst piece was the chunky knight for obscuring the LED which I managed to change and then repainted the yellowish white pieces to a more creamy colour. I then recoloured the black pieces to a darker brown which has made the pieces look quite a lot better.

It is a pity about the LEDs because the actual board is very attractive and a lovely size and I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Regards
Bryan
Murat wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:43 pm Hello to you also Greg.

The Chessnut air board is least problematic one compare to its competition none of which
have true piece recognition.

One class above is of course the Certabo and Millennium boards while they are too expensive,
in my eyes not perfect products either.

All the Best

Murat
Thank you Tobias, Bryan, Murat, and Aart for providing feedback on the experience with your boards. Based on your positive feedback I submitted an order for a board late last week. I can see how how the LED position may be an issue, but hopefully I will adapt. If not I'll try Murat's solution of inverting the board.
GONeill wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:45 am You can use it in Arena, CB-Emu (Arena), ChessBase, Fritz, LucasChess and Shredder too using my driver (USB and BluetoothLE).

https://goneill.co.nz/chess.php
Graham - I look forward to trying out your driver.

Greg
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

I tried Murat's solution and it worked great.

♟️ Thank you for your suggestion ♟️
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

My Chestnut Air arrived yesterday. It took one week to arrive being shipped to San Francisco, USA (it was shipped out of Los Angeles).

I had a chance to unbox it this afternoon. The set is very nicely packaged, and the board is beautiful. Also, much heavier than I expected. The pieces are also nice, albeit a bit light. In my opinion, much nicer than the eONE pieces (and from what I can see online, the Pegasus pieces).

Charging the board is confusing. I plugged in the USB-C cable, and the charging light did not illuminate. I powered the board on, and then the charging light appeared green. After connecting the app, I verified the battery was already fully charged. I've seen some posts on the Chessnut Facebook group regarding the erratic behavior of this indication, and I believe a firmware update is in the works. Are any other owners having issues with the charging LED?

I downloaded the Chessnut iOS app, and connected the board to my iPhone. I could find no instructions on their website or on the instructional videos on how to connect the board. Luckily, it was fairly intuitive in the app. I set up some chess positions and the piece recognition is extremely fast and seems to work well. However, when a placed a few of the pieces on the board, it registered on the app but the LED light for that piece did not illuminate. When I placed the following piece down, the LED light for the previously place piece illuminated.

Now for the real test - I wanted to play against a Chess.com bot (the primary reason for the purchase, as to my knowledge it is the only e-board that will do this).

I selected "Online" in the app, selected Chess.com, and signed into my account. I was then able to play an online game against the "Mittens" bot, and got properly destroyed.

Side note - Mittens made the homepage of the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday this week:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chess-mitt ... os1&page=1

Side side note - An entertaining game between her and GothamChess on YouTube (I especially enjoyed the ending of Game 2):
https://youtu.be/4L7lorjoDqU?t=903

I'll download the other corresponding apps this weekend and report back on how the Chessnut performs.

Greg
RollingRook

Post by RollingRook »

Hi, does anyone know if the Chessnut Air will work with the HIARCS iOS (iPhone or iPad) versions?

I know HIARCS iOS works with the Millennium board via its Chess Link module.
ArnWinter

Post by ArnWinter »

Bryan Whitby wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:58 pm
As for Certabo, there is a surprise coming very soon.

Regards
Bryan
Hi Bryan,
that sounds perfect, I'm really excited. I hope it's an app surprise!

Best regards,
Arne
ArnWinter

Post by ArnWinter »

ArnWinter wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:28 am
Bryan Whitby wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:58 pm
As for Certabo, there is a surprise coming very soon.

Regards
Bryan
Hi Bryan,
that sounds perfect, I'm really excited. I hope it's an app surprise!

Best regards,
Arne
And I hope it will be as eye-catching and surprising as this concept: https://youtu.be/Tx-UCDl6kC8

Sometimes I think, time is running short for Certabo.
miKalus

Post by miKalus »

Hi .. this is my first time posting, so hopefully this question is not too 'dumb'...

I received my Chessnut Air 3 days ago

2 Problems have emerged:

1- When I try to connect the board to the Chess.com App (Android) the board shows in the Bluetooth Search, but when I click on the Chessnut Air board option (inside the Chess.com App), I get a message the 'board is NOT supported' - and I know that it should be.
2- Whenever I turn the board OFF and insert the power cord for charging, the board TURNS ON. If I turn it off while charging (hold power button until red light) , the board TURNS BACK ON after a couple of seconds of being OFF.
The Chesnut App shows that the battery is only ~60% charged.

Is my board defective?
Do I need to RESET the board with a paper clip?
Do I need to UPGRADE the FIRMWARE?
Do I need to get a replacement (under warranty) ?

I have seen that there are 2 versions of the firmware, but I do not know how to get hold of the newest version, nor do I know how to update the firmware of the board.

Please tell me what to do as I would like to fully charge my board AND be able to link it to the Chess.com App.
Thank you
Murat

Post by Murat »

Hello and welcome miKalus,

The short answer is, chess dot com app currently does not support chessnut board.

You have to use the native chessnut android app. There is also a chrome plugin you can use when using windows OS.

All the best

Murat